• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortage in divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debgoss57

What is the name of your state? I live in Missouri.

My husband and Ihave a mortage on our home. If we divorce and I sign over the house to him, am I still liable for the mortgage payments?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? I live in Missouri.

My husband and Ihave a mortage on our home. If we divorce and I sign over the house to him, am I still liable for the mortgage payments?
Yes. The lender is not a party to the divorce and would still hold you responsible under the loan contract. He would have to refinance the house to remove your name from the mortgage. Absolutely do not sign the house over to him unless you are doing it at the closing table for his refinance.

debgoss57

mortgage in divorce

Well here's the deal******************************************.He opened up a business and ended up buying the building we were renting. Had some problems and refinanced the house about three times because of it. So know we have a mortgage on both. So what happens if the bank won't refinance the house a fourth time? We are desparately trying to sell the building but it isn't in very good shape.

Thanks for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">