• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage with ex-wife. I want off!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thumper24

Texas.

Ex-wife and I got divorced a year and a half ago. While married, we bought a house in both of our names. When we got divorced, she kept the house and we did a deed-of-trust saying the property was hers. Unfortunately, that didn't affect our FHA mortgage loan, which still has my name on it. They say that the only way to get my name off is to sell it or she can refinance it into her name.

Problem is this: I want my name off the mortgage. I thought she was going to live there, but within a few months of the divorce, she moved in with her boyfriend and is now just renting the house out. It's been over a year since she's lived in it. Do I have any legal recourse? Can I maybe sue her somehow and force her to sell the house or to refinance into her name? I desperately want my name off that mortgage.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

djohnson

Was anything mentioned in your divorce? Was she given a certain amount of time to get it in her name only? If not you have nothing. You agreed to the mortgage, your stuck. If she doesn't pay it and you do, then you can take her to court but as long as she is paying, you have nothing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">