• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mortgage Payment after death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arainfire

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Hello, I my sister-in-law, from Kansas was recently divorced and her ex agreed to pay the 2nd mortgage on the house. He has now passed away; who is responsible for paying the 2nd mortgage? His estate???
Thanks al

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Kansas

Hello, I my sister-in-law, from Kansas was recently divorced and her ex agreed to pay the 2nd mortgage on the house. He has now passed away; who is responsible for paying the 2nd mortgage? His estate???
Thanks al
Well, whomever's name is on the mortgage. If she is on the mortgage, and she wants to keep living there, and not have her credit ruined, then she is. The estate may not have the money. It also has the option of letting the house go into foreclosure.

LdiJ

Well, whomever's name is on the mortgage. If she is on the mortgage, and she wants to keep living there, and not have her credit ruined, then she is. The estate may not have the money. It also has the option of letting the house go into foreclosure.
I agree, however she should certainly at least try to go after the estate for the debt.

arainfire

How does she go after the estate. Her ex died in Idaho. He is retired military and received quite a large pension from such.
Thanks, Al

nextwife

If they had stayed together and he had died, who would have paid the mortgage IF she didn't want to lose the house, and didn't want any dings on her credit score (of she's on the mortgage)? She would have needed to either continue paying, pay it off using whatever assets she may have or using any life insurance or other death benefits, refinance the debt, or sell.

If there is NO provision in the divorce decree extending his living responsibilities to his estate, the mortgages are now her responsibility. Exactly what does the decree state regarding this?

nextwife

How does she go after the estate. Her ex died in Idaho. He is retired military and received quite a large pension from such.
Thanks, Al
How long were they married? Did she receive any life insurance in the divorce? Any share of his retirement?

Again, WHAT does the decree state?

nextwife

His pension probably has a bene. Therefore, would pass outside of the estate.
I understand that. But sometime there is language that requires a certain retirement account have a given individual named as beneficiary

There are often agreements incorporated into the decree awarding a life insurance policy or other asset to the divorcing spouse for the purposes of covering any debt or support responsibilities the deceased might have assumed in the divorce.

If she was awarded a life policy or whatever "in case" she may not ALSO be entitled to the money again from the estate. That would be double dipping.

Also, if he is retirement age, and much of those "large retirement" funds acquired BEFORE this marriage, then there may be prior parties with rights to those monies, such as a previous ex or children from a prior marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">