• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion of Continuance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sunshine1967

I am in TN.

My ex and I have been divorced for 1 year and a few months - the separation and divorce was long and dramatic.

Ok to my point....he is now serving me with papers that state Contempt of Court of my part about money I owe him from our divorce papers. OK.. First he has been out of country and he moved with no forwarding number or address until January when he sent me a letter with the new address.

It is a very long story and now he wants to put me in jail (comtempt of court) unless I pay for the money I was willing to pay anyway and HIS attorney fees for this process. I have the money to pay him and I have offered the money to his attorney and he still wants to take me to court to get his attorney fees. Keeping in mind I have had the money all along but had no idea where he was.

I WANT to represent myself....but I need to know the exact steps and procedures to file a Motion of Continuance. I need to do this soon. Anyone know anything about this stuff?

Can I file a Motion of Continuance in a Comtempt of Court case?

Also, if this does go to court, I want it thrown out and put in Samll claims court because the amount ...even with attorney fees, is small enough to go to small claims court. I would like answers to both these questions if possible.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

You don't need a motion for continuance.

Go to court and tell the judge you want to purge yourself of contempt and then give them the dough.

LdiJ

seniorjudge said:

Go to court and tell the judge you want to purge yourself of contempt and then give them the dough.
and tell the judge you would have given it to him sooner if you had known where he was.

sunshine1967

seniorjudge said:

Ok here is the deal. I went to HIS attorney today and gave him notice that I am representing myself, but the attorney hands me the list of "requests" from my ex....he does not want to settle out of court with the actual money I owe him...EVEN though I have already said I would pay ALL the money he says I owe him.

HE is now taking me to court for HIS attorney fees. OK His attorney has only written One letter to me and I faxed one to him, and my ex wants $1,600 in ATTORNEY FEES!!! He says either I pay it all, attorney fees and the money I owe him, or we go to court!

Crap I don't really have a choice in this matter. I am going to court because at least that way maybe if I do LOSE maybe I can have a payment plan. He has me over a barrel. And no I don't want to go bankrupt over this....I will lose my job...it doesn't pay well, but it is a job.

OH yeah ....How do I do a purge of contempt?

Thank you for such a quick response. I now have some hope.

S

seniorjudge

Read our prior posts.

sunshine1967

seniorjudge said:

Read our prior posts.
Hi Again.

I have read many of the posts and now I actually understand what Purge means.

Most of the information I read is from FL law. Does anyone know of a TN law website I can go to that has the TN description of Purge in it?

Last edited:

sunshine1967

By the way, I have the $900.00 plus that I owe my ex and I am willing to pay, but now he is sueing me for $1600 in lawyer fees that have not even occured and that will only accur if we go to court for the $900. It is crazy! I have the money and I am willing to pay the money, but my ex wants to take me to court for lawyer fees that have not even occured yet and to bring me to court for contempt of court.

sunshine1967

LdiJ said:
and tell the judge you would have given it to him sooner if you had known where he was.
I plan to do exactly what you say. But, I have a question. Now my ex is suing me for lawyer fees of $1,600.

If I say I wish to purge myself of Contempt and give them the money, will I be agreeing to pay the money for the attorney fees also, or AM I only agreeing to pay for the original amount owed?

S

seniorjudge

sunshine1967 said:
I plan to do exactly what you say. But, I have a question. Now my ex is suing me for lawyer fees of $1,600.

If I say I wish to purge myself of Contempt and give them the money, will I be agreeing to pay the money for the attorney fees also, or AM I only agreeing to pay for the original amount owed?
Depends on what the judge says. If the judge thinks ex caused the lawyer fees, you may not have to pay any of them. If the judge thinks you caused the lawyer fees, you may have to pay for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">