• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Move??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

b_crawley

What is the name of your state? IL
My wife says she wants a divorce, she wants me to move out of the house (rental lease in my name only), she wants me to pay enitre rent while out, she wants my van since she has the kids (my name only) and wants me to take her car, she wants alimony and child support. She works and have a good job. She says if I don't give her what she wants, she will destroy all my property or hurt me in my sleep. She tried stabbing me three years ago in front of her friends. I had her put out for two years (order of protection) but let her back in since order expired and she claimed she learned her lesson. Her court case was dropped since her friends wouldn't testify to the truth. What leagal course of aciton do I have?

djohnson

I'm curious as to why the only thing you aren't fighting her on taking is the kids? It's ok for her to have them but you want the house, van and not to have to pay child support and alimony? If she is that dangerous then you should fight for custody of them and let her pay you child support. If she has the kids then child support is a given. Depending on her work history she may get alimony also. It would make more sense for her to have the van if she has the kids but its something that can be decided in court. However whoever takes it will also take the payments probably. You paying alimony would be equal to paying the house payment so I wouldn't think she could get both. This is just my opinion and alot may depend on your personal situation and who has the best lawyer.

B

b_crawley

I want kids too

Thanks for responding.
I appreciate it. I do want my kids too. I have two boys they are both over 18. I also have two daughters they are 14 and 15. Though she claims that the kids wish to stay with her, I believe they will stay with who ever stays in the house. I think that is why she is threatening and pressuring me to move out immediately so she will have them and the leaverage. I honestly feel the kids are better off with me and that they get along better with me.
Thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">