• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moved out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lilsweetpea

I left my husband and moved out of state with his son. What can I do to keep him from coming and taking him until the divorce and custdy is settled? Can I put a restraining order on him when he lives out of state? The reason i left was to get away from the abuse to me and my son. I've had protective orders in the past.

Last edited:

G

Grandma B

Restraining orders are for physical protection for you and/or your son. Is your husband a threat (other than possibly taking the child who is as much his as he is yours)? Was the move made to escape domestic violence?

If you've made this move recently, you'll have to establish residency in the new state before you can file for dissolution. Your husband, however, can file in his state immediately and his chances for gaining custody would be strong given the circumstances as you've described them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">