• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving after divorce with kids

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pbateman

What is the name of your state? TX

I recently finalized my divorce with and my ex put a 50 mile limit on our joint custody of our two kids. How easy is it to change that and move to another state where my new BF lives? We want to marry soon.

brisgirl825

Very difficult. The court isn't going to let you take the kids away from their father simply b/c you want to move in with your b/f. You can move anywhere you like, the kids cannot.

Why doesn't he move in with you after you marry?

nextwife

brisgirl825 said:
Very difficult. The court isn't going to let you take the kids away from their father simply b/c you want to move in with your b/f. You can move anywhere you like, the kids cannot.

Why doesn't he move in with you after you marry?
Exactly. Your kids need THEIR dad more than they need your boyfriend. If he is committed to you, he will move to you, just as my husband (10 years now) moved to me because I couldn't move.

Pbateman

dad is an ass

TX

The dad is an ass who only has 50% custody because he knows it burns me up. he spends most of that time away from his own kids and has his mom babysit - and the boyfriend (Fiance soon) is a real good man who is staying in his state because he has his kid in joint custody. I was just wondering what the law says.

Pbateman said:
What is the name of your state? TX

I recently finalized my divorce with and my ex put a 50 mile limit on our joint custody of our two kids. How easy is it to change that and move to another state where my new BF lives? We want to marry soon.

How did your ex "put a 50 mile limit" on your joint custody without you signing your name indicating your agreement to terms?...hint,hint.

My ex and I have similar agreement....50 mile moving limit unless agreement between parties or order of Court. If it was "easy" to do, my ex would have moved 9 times in the last 10 years to be with each boyfriend, which was always described as "the serious relationship". Courts take a child's need for both a father and a mother seriously, even if parents do not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">