• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving on - but can I legally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notsoonenough

What is the name of your state? - Nebraska

I'm legally seperated - just waiting on the residency requirements to file for divorce (which isn't until October). I live in Nebraska and he lives in Virginia. However, I've been seeing someone now for a few months and we want to move in together. Could this mess up the divorce in any way?

LdiJ

notsoonenough said:
What is the name of your state? - Nebraska

I'm legally seperated - just waiting on the residency requirements to file for divorce (which isn't until October). I live in Nebraska and he lives in Virginia. However, I've been seeing someone now for a few months and we want to move in together. Could this mess up the divorce in any way?
It really is wiser to wait until you are divorced. It might not cause you any complications at all....it might cause you all kinds of complications. It all depends on how much of an issue your stbx wants to make out of it....and whether or not the judge in your case would care, or even have a legal basis to care.

Starry809

agreed completely. My state is a no fault state and my attorney told me the same thing, in those words.

LdiJ said:
It really is wiser to wait until you are divorced. It might not cause you any complications at all....it might cause you all kinds of complications. It all depends on how much of an issue your stbx wants to make out of it....and whether or not the judge in your case would care, or even have a legal basis to care.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">