• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving a divorce case from one state to another

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hayleycooper

My fiance is in the process of getting divorced in Texas. The papers went before the judge in August and the divorce should be absolute on Sep 18 2001. His soon to be ex-wife keeps threatening to bring the case to California where they (and their 3 children) are both now resident. Can she still do this at this late stage? If so are there any grounds for stopping her?

LegalBeagle

Hayleycooper said:
My fiance is in the process of getting divorced in Texas. The papers went before the judge in August and the divorce should be absolute on Sep 18 2001. His soon to be ex-wife keeps threatening to bring the case to California where they (and their 3 children) are both now resident. Can she still do this at this late stage? If so are there any grounds for stopping her?
She will not be able to move the divorce at this stage.. but in time she may be able to petition to move the custody/visitation and CS part to CA. Although I understand that TX has taken a hard line in giving up jurisdiction.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">