• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out of state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mk1111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY for now.

Our home is on the market (15 months now) but we feel close to receiving an offer; my dilemma is this: If I accept a job out of state (NH) can he move to another (FL) and we can file for legal separation at that time? Or do we both have to move to the same state?

We do not want to file in NY or start any action here since we hope to sell soon and move. I would like a simple, fair, fast settlement. We have no children; this is 2nd marriage for both. We have joint accounts besides individual IRA's including ROTH and some mutual funds from our employers. He is retired; I must work another 7 years.

Any suggestions on how to move from NY to another state and go about filing? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY for now.

Our home is on the market (15 months now) but we feel close to receiving an offer; my dilemma is this: If I accept a job out of state (NH) can he move to another (FL) and we can file for legal separation at that time? Or do we both have to move to the same state?

We do not want to file in NY or start any action here since we hope to sell soon and move. I would like a simple, fair, fast settlement. We have no children; this is 2nd marriage for both. We have joint accounts besides individual IRA's including ROTH and some mutual funds from our employers. He is retired; I must work another 7 years.

Any suggestions on how to move from NY to another state and go about filing? Thank you.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
No, you don't have to move to the same state. Either of you will be able to file in your new state of residency once you have lived there long enough to estabish residency. If its FL, you won't even have to file for a legal separation, you will be able to file straight for divorce. I don't know about NH.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">