• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving someone in while seperated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kdh19

My soon to be ex-wife has moved in a boyfriend and has gotten pregnant by him. We are under a legal seperation, which says we can live as single, but I was told(not by a lawyer) that it is illegal for her to move her boyfriend in. Also my name is still the primary on the house but she took responsibility for it in the seperation agreemant, if she defaults on the loan am I held liable?

kat1963

You betcha they will come after you for the mtg. Even if you signed a quit claim on the house w/her, the mtg company doesn't care. Have your lawyer write a clause into your final divorce that she has 6 months to refiance the loan into her name and give you whatever you have coming from the house. Call the mtg company monthly to see if payment has been made, if not, be prepared to make it or it will surely mess up your credit. I've seen this many times before, you need to cover your fanny.
As for the boyfriend thing, my husbands ex (hey, aren't you her last husband? That pig lives in Norfolk too) did the same thing. Because there were kids involved we could have taken it to court and made an issue out of it...but we didn't or he didn't, you know what I mean. If a period of time passes with the boyfriend living there and you don't do anything, then our lawyer told us you are pretty much SOL with the courts since you allowed it to go on for so long...I forget what she called it...it's been a long day here.
KAT

K

kdh19

thanks for the reply. I ahve called the mtg company( did it today after i posted this) and they say to have her refinance the house in her name. I am trying to get her to do it but i dont want to pressure her.
p.s. This divorce was her choice, not mine. She thought the grass was greener, and it turns out it was crab grass. He moved out today. thanks for your reply. Are you a Lawyer?

kat1963

No, I'm not a lawyer...but I have been dealing with a woman like your wife for many years. (Husbands ex)So he moved out, now what about the baby? Since you aren't the babies father, you need to contest paternity immediately or you will be stuck forever (according to VA laws) paying for a child that is not yours. You need a lawyer..I'm not sure if this allowed on this forum, but if you don't have one already, I recommend Fran Russell of Williams, Mullen, Clark and Dobbins in VAB. I recommend her to YOU in particular because she will *tell you like is*. She will even yell at you, which I think you need right now. *LOL* Even if you just spend the 50-75 for a consult with this lawyer. And I'm not saying that be rude....but I'm worried about you... perhaps I'm wrong but I'm getting a little sympathy for her out of your post, DO NOT BE FOOLED!! I don't care how pitful she makes herself out to be, how scared ect. You take her back and sir that will be the worst mistake you ever made in your life. This is NOT the woman for you and she has made that perfectly clear. Get her to refinance then run!!!!!! You are far better off being in misery for a few months until you get over her then spending 18 years dealing with someone who couldn't give a cats hair about you. Your goal, to be HAPPY...she does not fit into this picture.
Sorry for rambling....3 years 8 months and 10 days until my husbands bitty is no longer in our lives..and yuppers, he is paying for child that isn't his.
Good Luck!
KAT

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">