• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mrs.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SoaringEagle

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan
My husband and I are in the process of getting divorced. We are on "friendly" terms and neither one of us is using an Attorney. As we were working through the asset/ liabilities separation, we stumbled across the issue of student loans. During our marriage of 12+ years my husband went to college, using student loans, that have been paid down to approx. $10,000 now. (He will keep this loan and continues to make payments on it.) I went to college and graduated just before our separation, accumulating a student loan balance of approx. $55,000. (I am making payments on this loan and will continnue to do so as well.) A large portion of this money was used to supplement my income. My husband now doesn't think that our student loans should be considered in our separation of Assets/ Debts. However, he told me that if we were to consider them 50/50, we then would have a right to 50% of eachothers future wage increases as well? I have searched around and have not been able to find any information pertaining to this issue. Can you help me with an answer? Thank you!

Zephyr

However, he told me that if we were to consider them 50/50, we then would have a right to 50% of eachothers future wage increases as well?

poppycock! he is wrong. dealing with debts of this magnitude and possibly comparable assests? you should have an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">