• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MSA question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TexasHelp252

What is the name of your state? Texas

My ex-wife and I signed the Marriage Settlement Agreement on 5/31/06, judge signed the divorce on 8/18/06...the MSA in part stated I would pay her car payment (which is in my name) for 12 months. Now, does that 12 months legally start with the MSA agreement or the signed divorce decree? Also, does the fact that she is re-married affect the agreement.

Problem is...I want the car OUT of my name NOW and she refuses to take over payments for another couple of months. Basically, who is right here.

TexasHelp252

MSA help

I don't have it in front of me...but the wording stated that husband shall pay wife's car payment for 2003 Dodge Intreped (amount of $356.80) for 12 months. It also states that the agreement is void if the car is sold, traded or totaled.

LdiJ

I don't have it in front of me...but the wording stated that husband shall pay wife's car payment for 2003 Dodge Intreped (amount of $356.80) for 12 months. It also states that the agreement is void if the car is sold, traded or totaled.

I don't think that anyone is going to be able to answer your question without knowing the exact wording.

TexasHelp252

MSA help

There's really nothing more than that. It just states the car, the payment amount, and the duration of payments (12 months). There's no start or finish date written in...the document is dated and signed (and notorized) at the bottom.

Other part of the question....does the fact that she has re-married affect the agreement? There is no clause put into the agreement about re-marriage and nothing was written about it in the decree either. But, is there any law that (contract, probate, whatever) that comes into play in this situation.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
There's really nothing more than that. It just states the car, the payment amount, and the duration of payments (12 months). There's no start or finish date written in...the document is dated and signed (and notorized) at the bottom.

Other part of the question....does the fact that she has re-married affect the agreement? There is no clause put into the agreement about re-marriage and nothing was written about it in the decree either. But, is there any law that (contract, probate, whatever) that comes into play in this situation.
Therefore re-marriage is not a factor. And without exact wording -- not your interpretation of what it is -- we can't be exactly sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">