• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Chances....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dcurtain

What is the name of your state? Michigan

My wife of 12 years has decided she wants a divorce and has hired an attorney and filled out all the paperwork necessary to begin the petition.

Over the past 4+ years, I have been the primary (almost sole) provider of the house financially - while she has gone back to school to earn a degree in elementary education.

Now that divorce seems iminent, I would like to keep the house, and our 2 children in it.

What are my chances of acheiving that? I believe it would be in the best interest of the children to maintain some stability (staying in this home). Plus she wants the divorce and has refused counseling.

Thank you in advance....

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's impossible to tell what your chances are. A lot will depend on who has been the children's primary caregiver, whether either of you can be shown to be unfit, depending on the ages of the children - their wishes, and host of other factors.

kat1963

Call you state Bar Association & obtain a referral for a pitbull FAMILY law (father's rights) attorney. NOT the one who got Cousin Vinny off on that DWI a few years ago.
I hope you will consider a joint parenting plan. Children need both parents, not one just being a visitor. Try here: http://www.deltabravo.net/custody/pplan4.htm
Good Luck!
KAT

D

dcurtain

4+ years ago, my wife decided to return to college and obtain her degree. Since then, I have been the primary caregiver. I work from my home (telecommute) with light travel. Over the past several months, there have been nights that she will not come home until 4am or 5am, a few nights not at all. She also has just taken a job at a local bar and her hours, from what I understand, will be 6pm to close on the nights she works. So she'll be around the kids during the day, but I will be feeding them dinner, any nighttime activities, and getting them to bed - much what they've become accustomed to anyway...

Since my first post, she and I have sat down and discussed custody. We agree, at least at this point, that shared custody will be in the best interest of the children. Hammering out the exact details of that agreement is what we will begin working on next. We've also agreed that I will keep the house.

Understand, and I think I do, that these agreements are simply verbal and I expect she can change her mind at any time until the parenting agreement is signed and the divorce is final. Is that a safe assumption? Or if she signs an agreement (such as the parenting plan), is it binding?

Additionally, there is a 6 month 'cooling off' period here in Michigan. I am torn between asking her to leave or stay in this house during that time.

Also, do any of you have experience with mediation? Is that an alternative to attorney's?

B

Boxcarbill

Your question regarding mediation and attorneys is a little like asking whether anyone has had any experience with physical therapy and whether physical therapy is an alternative to a medical doctor. They serve two different purposes.

D

dcurtain

I guess that's my question. What exactly does a mediator do in a divorce case?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">