• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my dads marriage legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sisters4

What is the name of your state? california

my dad married his 4th wife 7 years ago. my father just recently passed away not of natural causes. I found out that they had a confidential marriage license. which I understand that they had to be living as husband and wife prior to marriage. which they did not.I also understand that you have to get married in the county the license was issued. which they got married in another county. and had a very large wedding. she had told my dad that she was never married before. I had found out that she has been married many times. I had found a document at the county recorders office that stated her name and another mans name as husband and wife and was dated in 1998. she married my dad in 1995.If she was married to another man would her marriage to my dad still be valid.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sisters4 said:
What is the name of your state? california

my dad married his 4th wife 7 years ago. my father just recently passed away not of natural causes. I found out that they had a confidential marriage license. which I understand that they had to be living as husband and wife prior to marriage. which they did not.I also understand that you have to get married in the county the license was issued. which they got married in another county. and had a very large wedding. she had told my dad that she was never married before. I had found out that she has been married many times. I had found a document at the county recorders office that stated her name and another mans name as husband and wife and was dated in 1998. she married my dad in 1995.If she was married to another man would her marriage to my dad still be valid.

My response:

No, it wouldn't be valid. However, you've got to take this matter one step further before you can know for sure if it's, in fact, a bigamous marriage. You'll need to research county records to determine whether or not if there was a divorce from her previous marriage. But, then, without access to her own private records, she very well could have been divorced in any other county or in any other State.

So, if she tries to "take" from your father's Will, have her prove, by documentation, that she was divorced. If she refuses, file an objection with the Probate court and force her to prove a valid divorce prior to marriage to your father.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">