• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My ex wife is not following threw on her end of the agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcmike967

I am located in Virginia, I got divorced in 2011 we have 4 kids (ages 10,15,16,17) and alimony ending in December of 2014. We lived in a house together when we got divorced. I gave we 250,000 (all of my savings) i give her 1600 a month in alimony and 1400 a month for child support. We split the time up with the kids 50 50. We owed around 20,000 more then it was worth so I agreed to move out and let her live in the house for 6 years, she has to pay all the bills regarding the house on time and at the end of the 6 years we would sell it and she could keep all the profit. In addition to 3 cars, two she wanted to keep, she agreed to pay them off with the 250,000. She doesn't have a good job so the house and cars in my name. She has neglected to pay off the cars as well as keep up with the mortgage. Back in 2011 we owed around 640,000 and it was worth around 600,000 now its worth 630,000 and over 720,000 is owed on it. In the divorce agreement im aloud to sell the house if she didnt pay the bills connected to the house on time. Is there anything i could do to force her out of the house and now owe the 90,000 (the difference in the value vs what is owed). She has gone threw all the 250,000 and more is owed on the cars then what they are worth. Is there anything i can do?

Thanks

Proserpina

yes on both the morgage as well as the deed

Ah snap, I was so hoping you wouldn't say that.

You can't kick her out - she owns the house just much as you.

You can't force her to pay, and if she doesn't pay? The lender is going to come after you.

There was no fraud or misrepresentation, so there's not much chance of getting the divorce opened.

I'm at a loss at this point - stand by for others though.

Proserpina

Hold up a second - in your post you said she had a not-so-good job and you had the house and the cars in your name..can you clarify please?

mcmike967

Yea both of our names are on everything, but after looking over the agreement ive found if she neglects to pay the bills connected to the house (mortgage, water, ect..) i can force her to sell the house. Now is there anything i can do to force her pay the bills shes aloud to build up. She hasnt payed the motgage at all over the last several years and the amount that is owed is much more then whats owed. I just want to find a way to pay the difference in the value of the house vs whats owed.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Yea both of our names are on everything, but after looking over the agreement ive found if she neglects to pay the bills connected to the house (mortgage, water, ect..) i can force her to sell the house. Now is there anything i can do to force her pay the bills shes aloud to build up. She hasnt payed the motgage at all over the last several years and the amount that is owed is much more then whats owed. I just want to find a way to pay the difference in the value of the house vs whats owed.
How did you let several years on the mortgage not being paid build up?

Proserpina

The thing is, putting a "for sale" sign outside doesn't a) prevent your credit from taking a hit or b) makes sure it actually sells.

I hate having to suggest this but is bankruptcy something you could consider?

Get to an attorney immediately. There is a LOT at stake here - you really can't afford to not have an attorney at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">