• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My former husband won a settlement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sleepync

What is the name of your state? NC
I am just beginning this and need help, open to suggestions! Again, after 21 years of marriage my husband left me. Shortly after he won a settlement of large undisclosed amount. I have the children and work 2 jobs, he does nothing except fish and is trying to get disability. We are now divorced, but heading to court for equitable distribution. I am worried, he has an attorney I do not, and he said I would be paying his attorney fees and more.

Again open to suggestions!
THANKS

gatorguy3

don't etch this in stone but I was told by law officials in Florida that anything obtained after the separation is not part of the marital assets. I guess it could be different in your state. I suppose, though, the state would take part of it if he has not been paying support and has arrears.

BelizeBreeze

When was the settlement filed? During the marriage or after the separation and was the separation done legally or did he just leave without filing papers?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">