• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my house (purchased priot ro marriage) separate property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jmrogers7

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi - I was curious about the above question. I purchased my home 6 months prior to my wife and I getting married. The down payment was paid entirely by me and only my name appears on the mortgage note. Also, only funds earned by me are used to pay the monthly mortgage payments along with all property taxes and home insurances premiums.

We keep separate bank accounts so this is easily recorded.

We are considering a divorce and I wanted to know if the home, based on the above information, would be considered separate, and not marital, property.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bali Hai

jmrogers7 said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hi - I was curious about the above question. I purchased my home 6 months prior to my wife and I getting married. The down payment was paid entirely by me and only my name appears on the mortgage note. Also, only funds earned by me are used to pay the monthly mortgage payments along with all property taxes and home insurances premiums.

We keep separate bank accounts so this is easily recorded.

We are considering a divorce and I wanted to know if the home, based on the above information, would be considered separate, and not marital, property.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Technically some seperate, technically some marital.

You had the home for 6 months prior to the marriage. If you were married for 10 years, she has that amount of equity.

The dollar amounts are relatively simple to figure out.

Your seperate bank accounts are meaningless after you were married.

Was there a prenup??

jmrogers7

No prenup. If we make it to the end of April we will have been married for 2 years.

I was under the assumption that in Ohio if the home was purchased prior to getting married and I am the only person listed on the mortgage note and deed that it would be a non-marital asset to which she has no claim?

Am I mistaken?

F

fireboat1

Sorry bud,mistaken.All the house bills were paid from marital funds, Kept seperate or not their marital. The 6mos prior could be non-marital.The downpayment ,though sometimes is considerd a gift to the marriage could be non-marital.Fortunatly you dont have much loss ,%50 of 2 yrs.equity.Isnt bad.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">