• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is a bigamist.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mmcdaniel

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington
What do I do? I just found out that my husband is married to another woman. He says were divorced and our kid is not his. All I would like is for him to divorce me give up the rights to my son and go to jail. I dont know what to do because I don't have money to pay for any of this. What to do? HELP???.:mad::confused:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? washington
What do I do? I just found out that my husband is married to another woman. He says were divorced and our kid is not his. All I would like is for him to divorce me give up the rights to my son and go to jail. I dont know what to do because I don't have money to pay for any of this. What to do? HELP???.:mad::confused:

See an attorney first thing Tuesday morning.

File for divorce and child support (just because he was still married, this doesn't necessarily mean that you are not legally still married to him).

He is not going to go to jail for this, nor can he simply "give up" rights to the child.

LdiJ

See an attorney first thing Tuesday morning.

File for divorce and child support (just because he was still married, this doesn't necessarily mean that you are not legally still married to him).

He is not going to go to jail for this, nor can he simply "give up" rights to the child.
He can be convicted of bigamy and go to jail if she presses the issue with the police. Bigamy IS a crime.

However, I do agree with the rest. She needs to file for divorce, custody and child support.

mistoffolees

He can be convicted of bigamy and go to jail if she presses the issue with the police. Bigamy IS a crime.
In Washington, at least, bigamists rarely face jail time:
Washington State Cop Loses His Badge for Bigamy - Fight Bigamy

More importantly, people who go into the divorce process looking for revenge end up hurting not just the person they're going after, but also themselves and their children. If she wants a divorce, she should get a divorce, of course, but the process will be a lot easier for everyone involved if she drops the vindictiveness.

LdiJ

In Washington, at least, bigamists rarely face jail time:
Washington State Cop Loses His Badge for Bigamy - Fight Bigamy

More importantly, people who go into the divorce process looking for revenge end up hurting not just the person they're going after, but also themselves and their children. If she wants a divorce, she should get a divorce, of course, but the process will be a lot easier for everyone involved if she drops the vindictiveness.
While I am sure that you are right (about dropping the vindictiveness) if these forums are any indication there is far too much of bigamy going on. I have sympathy for someone who does it accidentally, but not for someone who does it knowingly.

mistoffolees

While I am sure that you are right (about dropping the vindictiveness) if these forums are any indication there is far too much of bigamy going on. I have sympathy for someone who does it accidentally, but not for someone who does it knowingly.
No one is asking you to have sympathy for them.

But you shouldn't be telling OP that her husband will go to jail when it's not very likely.

nextwife

I just found out that my husband is married to another woman. He says were divorced and our kid is not his.
Was the child born during the "marriage"? How long have you and he been seperated?

Is it possible he did get a divorce granted elsewhere somehow without you receiving notice? Have you checked for any filings either in your county or where he lives now?

deets04

My Husband is a bigamist also!!!

I can not believe that I have been married to this man for almost 12 years and he is still married to a woman he says the marraige was annuled because his mom said so!!!! Yah right I just found the marraige cert and called the Courts and there is no annulment nor a divorce on file and they have been married for 22 years this past sunday what the Hell!!!!! I live in California am lost for words. shocked and he moved out Sunday..... Don't know what to do any suggestions..:mad::confused: Thank god I never had children with this man. But he did father 2 children by another women while married to the first one. Guess I should have known he was a player....

Last edited:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I can not believe that I have been married to this man for almost 12 years and he is still married to a woman he says the marraige was annuled because his mom said so!!!! Yah right I just found the marraige cert and called the Courts and there is no annulment nor a divorce on file and they have been married for 22 years this past sunday what the Hell!!!!! I live in California am lost for words. shocked and he moved out Sunday..... Don't know what to do any suggestions..:mad::confused: Thank god I never had children with this man. But he did father 2 children by another women while married to the first one. Guess I should have known he was a player....
Here's a suggestion: Start your own thread. Don't hijack another poster's thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">