• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband is filing for legal separation...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lareyna124

If my husband is filing for legal separation and is asking me for my 401k info and health insurance, does he need this info to file?

Should I give it to him? He's not on my plan.

Also, i thought legal separation didn't exist in NY?

AdjunctFL

If my husband is filing for legal separation and is asking me for my 401k info and health insurance, does he need this info to file?

Should I give it to him? He's not on my plan.

Also, i thought legal separation didn't exist in NY?

NY does recognize legal separations.

Your husband wouldn't need your 401k or health insurance information unless you are filing a joint return prior to the separation being final. If you don't want to give it to him you should be filing married filing separately, Head of Household if you otherwise qualify, or (but only after the legal separation) single.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Was the 401K established/contributed to during the marriage? This could make some portion of it a marital asset, which has to be taken into account in the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">