• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My husband's family wants out!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vlaustin903

What is the name of your state? Illinois/Maryland

I was just married 29 May 2007. My husband's parent's do not approve of our marriage and they have a big affect on his life and all decisions made in his life. We've been together for 5 years (high school sweethearts), I've been serving in the military for almost 3 yrs now and recently decided to go active duty. Our plan was to get married, he'd follow me, have kids in a year and just live this happy life. Well like 3 wks into the marriage his father thinks we should get annulled and remain boyfriend and girlfriend, of course I objected but after much scolding and pressure he gave in. He even came down here with me, assisted in moving into our house, but he left. Now I'm stationed in Maryland, which is very far away from my home and am staying in military housing all alone, well I just moved my younger sister down. I spoke with him earlier today and he's talking about sending some type of paperwork which if I don't respond the court will just grant him a divorce but if this happens, I'll be out of a home. You only get housing if you're married or have children, (we have no kids). I have my younger sister staying with me and I can't just be homeless and not have a place for either of us to go. I was just wondering if he could really do that? We haven't even been married a good 2 months yet. I love my husband and just wish he'd listen to me. But his family is breaking up our home. PLEASE HELP!!! :(

LdiJ

I was just married 29 May 2007. My husband's parent's do not approve of our marriage and they have a big affect on his life and all decisions made in his life. We've been together for 5 years (high school sweethearts), I've been serving in the military for almost 3 yrs now and recently decided to go active duty. Our plan was to get married, he'd follow me, have kids in a year and just live this happy life. Well like 3 wks into the marriage his father thinks we should get annulled and remain boyfriend and girlfriend, of course I objected but after much scolding and pressure he gave in. He even came down here with me, assisted in moving into our house, but he left. Now I'm stationed in Maryland, which is very far away from my home and am staying in military housing all alone, well I just moved my younger sister down. I spoke with him earlier today and he's talking about sending some type of paperwork which if I don't respond the court will just grant him a divorce but if this happens, I'll be out of a home. You only get housing if you're married or have children, (we have no kids). I have my younger sister staying with me and I can't just be homeless and not have a place for either of us to go. I was just wondering if he could really do that? We haven't even been married a good 2 months yet. I love my husband and just wish he'd listen to me. But his family is breaking up our home. PLEASE HELP!!! :(
Hon, there is absolutely nothing you can do to stop him from getting a divorce, if that is what he wants.

Zephyr

and- not legal advice- but if he can't stand up to his family and they have this much influence on him- i.e. convincing him to leave the person he just made a LIFE COMMIMENT to.....it's probably better this ends now than after the kids are born

best to.

Walk away while you are still able to. Any man or woman who is still a momma's/papa's boy/girl will never take responsibility for their actions. Depending on your rank you might be able to request offpost housing for youself.

moburkes

Are you sister's LEGAL guardian? Is sis a minor?
Yeah, cause otherwise, she can go back home. I think you knew the writing on the wall but chose to ignore it. If you've been dating him for 5 years, I'm not sure why you thought it would change simply because you got married.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">