• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Lawyer's Words Screwed me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacobcbass

North Carolina. My ex-wife had tremendous medical bills. She agreed to take responsiblility for her medical bills. My lawyer drew up the Property Settlement Agreement. The agreement read**************..The wife shall be solely responsible for and shall hold the husband harmless from all medical bills incurred on behalf of the wife as of the date of the signlng of this agreement.

The medical bill collectors are coming after me and saying that it states that I don't owe any of her bills from the date the document was sign forward. All the bills prior to the signing I am responsible for. :eek: Is this correct? If so my lawyer really screwed me.:mad:

mistoffolees

North Carolina. My ex-wife had tremendous medical bills. She agreed to take responsiblility for her medical bills. My lawyer drew up the Property Settlement Agreement. The agreement read**************..The wife shall be solely responsible for and shall hold the husband harmless from all medical bills incurred on behalf of the wife as of the date of the signlng of this agreement.

The medical bill collectors are coming after me and saying that it states that I don't owe any of her bills from the date the document was sign forward. All the bills prior to the signing I am responsible for. :eek: Is this correct? If so my lawyer really screwed me.:mad:
So go back to court to ask for a clarification (although I'm not sure I agree with the interpretation, you need to make it clear so that there's no room for disagreement).

However, make sure that you understand that this won't keep the bill collectors from coming after you. If your name is on the bills, then they have every right to come after you - they are not party to the divorce decree.

What the divorce does is say that you can then collect from your wife if you have to pay anything.

jacobcbass

Thanks for the fast response.

I had to beg and bargain to get my ex to agree to this. If she knew I may still be responsible, there is no way she is going to agree now. She's gotten what she wanted and would be very happy to have more. Asking for a clarification? Would I be asking the court for that or my ex?:confused:

Proserpina

From the wording it would seem that you are indeed jointly responsible for bills incurred before the agreement was signed.

Get back to court!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">