• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is my marraige valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

edmaldon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC
I am a born US citizen.
I married my wife in 2005 who was divorced in Dominican Republic while in the US, both her and her ex were in the US at the time of divorce and are from the Domincain Republic.
In order for us to marry in NJ we had to notorized a afidavit saying the divorce was legal, this divorce decree was reviewed by a local lawyer and she notorized the document for us. The state accepted the divorce documents and allowed us to marry.
When her ex was applying with USCIS a year later, they said the divorce was not recognized because both parties were in US. So a new divorce was filed in Rhode Is- US by the ex. The second divorce was final in 2007.
My question; is my marraige valid? in 2009 for USCIS purposes?
I am now living in NC with my wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">