• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My mom filed for divorce and my dad is clueless

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lindsey Wooten

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

My mothet just filed for divorce this week. The divorce is not mutal and I suspect her of cheating befor the separation. How does my dad get her cell phone text messages and phone records subpoenaed?

Just Blue

My mothet just filed for divorce this week. The divorce is not mutal and I suspect her of cheating befor the separation. How does my dad get her cell phone text messages and phone records subpoenaed?
Why on EARTH would you involve yourself in your PARENTS marital issues?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

The best thing you could do to help is to offer to help pay for an attorney.

Lindsey Wooten

ok, but what if he doesnt want to get an attorney because she is leading him to beleive she is taking care of it, and he has no clue she may have been cheating on him, but I want to find a way to prove to him she was.

Lindsey Wooten

i would prefer not to be involved , but i dont want her to take everything he has worked his whole life for away. he is oblivious.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i would prefer not to be involved , but i dont want her to take everything he has worked his whole life for away. he is oblivious.
He is an adult - he is fully capable of making his own decisions. You will only alienate yourself from BOTH parents if you insist on going down this road.

Lindsey Wooten

ok well i will let my mother take him for everything he has, lose his home in which my brother and his new born baby will have to find another home also, you ppl were real helpful**************.. if my dad and brother lose their home then it destroys my family anyway. thanks**************......

Isis1

ok well i will let my mother take him for everything he has, lose his home in which my brother and his new born baby will have to find another home also, you ppl were real helpful**************.. if my dad and brother lose their home then it destroys my family anyway. thanks**************......
um...you won't be letting your dad do anything. only HE is responsible for standing up to himself. it's HIS issue, honey. not yours.

mistoffolees

What's your problem?

You were given the correct answer. YOU HAVE NO LEGAL STANDING IN THIS MATTER. It's not your fight and the court would throw you out on your rear if you tried to get involved. It's between your father and mother. If you think your father is going to be taken advantage of, then help him get an attorney whose job it is to protect your father.

The advice you've received is 100% accurate and useful. If you choose not to use it, that's your problem.

Proserpina

If that happens, you know who will be at fault? Your parents. Nobody else. Don't you understand that this isn't your fight?

First, get a clue. Then get an attorney for your father. And then get a grip and realize that taking a tantrum on a message forum is going to help Dad not one iota.

(though I'm tempted to ask why your brother and his newborn are relying upon Mom & Dad)

Lindsey Wooten

I was looking for some sort of advice to pass on to him, I wasnt trying to take anything into my own hands and I never said I wanted to be in court or anything along those lines. There is no tantrum. Some of the people that responded to this were rude. I just wanted some one to tell me if there were any other options or if there is anything I can suggest. But apparently this isnt the place for that. I realise this is his fight but we all need help some times even if we dont ask, and some ppl need help being educated on their rights in certian situations. And as for my brother "relying" on my parents for a place to stay..... he has a full time job and is in school, he is 20 years old and cannot afford to live on his own yet...... some of us just arent that fortunate. I am a honest person with a good heart that was trying to get some information on the situation befor I started pushing for an attorney and thought a website like this would help but instead was told to mind my own buisness.

Proserpina

I was looking for some sort of advice to pass on to him, I wasnt trying to take anything into my own hands and I never said I wanted to be in court or anything along those lines. There is no tantrum. Some of the people that responded to this were rude. I just wanted some one to tell me if there were any other options or if there is anything I can suggest. But apparently this isnt the place for that. I realise this is his fight but we all need help some times even if we dont ask, and some ppl need help being educated on their rights in certian situations. And as for my brother "relying" on my parents for a place to stay..... he has a full time job and is in school, he is 20 years old and cannot afford to live on his own yet...... some of us just arent that fortunate. I am a honest person with a good heart that was trying to get some information on the situation befor I started pushing for an attorney and thought a website like this would help but instead was told to mind my own buisness.
Hon if your brother can't afford to live on his own yet, your brother shouldn't be having children - don't use them as justification for why you should be further involved.

Pay for Dad's attorney. That is literally all you can (and should) do....because Dad is an adult and frankly has the absolute right to do what HE wants to do regardless of your objections.

Of course you're affected by your parents divorcing - it's painful! But it's their battle, not yours. If you keep going you do stand the risk of alienating both of your parents. It's not up to you to prove Mom is cheating and there also exists the possibility that Dad actually knows far more than you realise and has his own reasons for doing (or not doing) certain things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">