• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My obligations & recorse for selling the house my ex lives in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TCrosby

What is the name of your state? Michigan

my ex-husband and I have been divorced for a year and a half. in our divorce agreement it states that the house should be completed and sold in a reasonable time frame. my ex claims that I should be over more working on the house so we can sell it however i don't have a key to the house and he won't allow me to come over anytime i want...it has to be when he's available. he's still living in the house even though there is not an occupancy permit and i'm obligated to pay 43% of the house payment. i'm tired of paying for the house i don't live in and it seems like it will never get done based on how quickly he's moving. can i stop giving him payments? can i make him move out of the house so i can move back in and get the house completed? i guess i basically want to know my legal obligations with this whole deal...thank-you

VeronicaGia

Is your name on the mortgate? If you stop making payments, your credit will be affected if your name is on the mortgage.

Are you court ordered to continue making payments? If so, he can file a contempt of court action against you for not following the court order.

I think you need to get the time frame clarified by the court. In other words, you need an actual deadline date.

T

TCrosby

Yes, i'm on the mortgage and i'm obligated to pay 43% of the house payment. how do i go about making the courts define a specific deadline date?

VeronicaGia

You will have to file a modification of your order (or divorce decree) to give a specific date. Did you have an attorney when you got divorced? If so, contact that attorney and tell him/her that the word "reasonable" has come back to bite you. Do not ever again agree to anything that lacks definition. The words reasonable, liberal, etc. should never be agreed to by either party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">