• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my personal injury award and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackiehall

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois
I have been awarded a personal injury settlement.He did not lose wages because most of the time he was on unemployment.My award was for the poisoning I recieved causing me to have many surgeries.I will have future health problems because of the poisoning.Is he going to be able to get 1/2 of my money?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? illinois
I have been awarded a personal injury settlement.He did not lose wages because most of the time he was on unemployment.My award was for the poisoning I recieved causing me to have many surgeries.I will have future health problems because of the poisoning.Is he going to be able to get 1/2 of my money?
You need to start at the beginning and explain the story. You didn't tell us if you were married, if you are divorcing or anything else regarding the situation. How do you expect to get decent and accurate answers?

However, 9 times out of 10, your personal injury settlement would be yours alone. If you don't want to thoroughly explain the situation here, then go get a face to face consult with a local attorney.

jackiehall

my story

sorry about that.Yes I am married and getting a divorce.I am one of the Erin Brokovich victims..yes from the movie, th time i was living in Hinkley i was exposed to chromium 6.I have had 17 surgeries and almost died 3 times because of the poison .It is unclear and unknown that I will continue to get sick.I was awarded a settlement during the marriage (17 years)he didnt lose wages.he was mostly on unemployment.He was'nt affected physically or finacially.Insurance picked all the of the bill when ever I had been sick.I was the only one who and is sick.I did pay off OUR debts and I bought him a jeep anew one.He said in Illinois he can take his fair share.Will the courts look at my case analytically?
I will need this money to provide for myself and my son if I do get sick and lose wages during that time. please I hope this helps.:(

LdiJ

sorry about that.Yes I am married and getting a divorce.I am one of the Erin Brokovich victims..yes from the movie, th time i was living in Hinkley i was exposed to chromium 6.I have had 17 surgeries and almost died 3 times because of the poison .It is unclear and unknown that I will continue to get sick.I was awarded a settlement during the marriage (17 years)he didnt lose wages.he was mostly on unemployment.He was'nt affected physically or finacially.Insurance picked all the of the bill when ever I had been sick.I was the only one who and is sick.I did pay off OUR debts and I bought him a jeep anew one.He said in Illinois he can take his fair share.Will the courts look at my case analytically?
I will need this money to provide for myself and my son if I do get sick and lose wages during that time. please I hope this helps.:(
Yes, that does help. I believe that the personal injury award is yours alone, however, you honestly need to take the paperwork and get a consult with a local attorney, who can see how everything is worded. If it was awarded to you individually, and you kept the money separate, then its probably yours individually. However, if because of your children, it was awarded to you as a family, or of there is any "loss of consortium" language in the order, naming your husband, then it gets more complicated.

It was a class action lawsuit, so you will need your copy of the class action award as well. How you are named within the class may make a difference as well.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes, that does help. I believe that the personal injury award is yours alone, however, you honestly need to take the paperwork and get a consult with a local attorney, who can see how everything is worded. If it was awarded to you individually, and you kept the money separate, then its probably yours individually. However, if because of your children, it was awarded to you as a family, or of there is any "loss of consortium" language in the order, naming your husband, then it gets more complicated.

It was a class action lawsuit, so you will need your copy of the class action award as well. How you are named within the class may make a difference as well.
What LD stated. It depends on a variety of factors that we here cannot tell you -- such as how the settlement was worded.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">