• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Puerto Rican Cuz Needing Military Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hiscuz

What is the name of your state? GA

My cousin wants to divorce his wife. They both are from Puerto Rico, were married there, and now that he is in the Army and stationed in Georgia wants it final. He's in Georgia now for 1.5 yrs and she for about 7 months. Their son is here as well.
His wife wants him to get military "counseling" done first, but in reality he wants to get the divorce. Can he skip the counseling? He had mentioned separating from her, but won't doing this delay time? He is confused about where he has to get papers if here or in Puerto Rico. He hears differents stories. What rights does he have and the legal process?
I want to help him out so he can end it soon, but he fears that she will become difficult and not sign if it's done too quick. She wants to work it out, but after she was unfaithful, he wants out. He thinks that since that happened 4 years ago, he can't use that against her.

He really needs the right guidance. Please help me help him. Thanks.

miaguy

File for divorce in Georgia.

Get a lawyer and file for divorce in georgia. The lawyer knows what to do.

usmcfamily

Actually it can be simpler than that - -tell him to make an appt at legal affairs on base to speak with an advisor and go over the process......even if she is not in agreeance to the divorce they can help him with paperwork and the process as a whole (note - the military does NOT "represent" either party -they merely advise and prepare papers, etc). With the foreign issue (both being from PR) I would STRONGLY suggest he have stipulations placed in the decree regarding his parental rights because she will likely return to PR with the child and he may have a very hard time trying to see the child again (btw restrictions on taking the child out of the state/country are very possible)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">