• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My question is regarding property after a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shoby1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place but wasn't exactly sure..

I'm a contractor and just visited a client who was divorced over a year ago. She has possession of her ex-husbands boat and trailer who was required to remove the boat/trailer within 30 days and did not. Now it's well over a year and her lawyer told her that she can do whatever she wants with the boat/trailer. My client wants to trade the boat/trailer for some work she needs on her home and I'm willing to do so but concerned about not having a title to the boat or the trailer. The ex- husband, who deals with alcohol abuse, would be the one with the title but the wife says he lost his rights to the boat and trailer when he didn't pick it up. She offered to show me the emails from her lawyer stating that she has the right to do what she wants with the boat/trailer. Again, she says he had 30 days and she's waited over a year for him to pick it up which he has not. It's not a beautiful boat or anything but it is worth installing a few windows to me. I'm just concerned about the transaction and registering issues. Can anyone offer me any advice please?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place but wasn't exactly sure..

I'm a contractor and just visited a client who was divorced over a year ago. She has possession of her ex-husbands boat and trailer who was required to remove the boat/trailer within 30 days and did not. Now it's well over a year and her lawyer told her that she can do whatever she wants with the boat/trailer. My client wants to trade the boat/trailer for some work she needs on her home and I'm willing to do so but concerned about not having a title to the boat or the trailer. The ex- husband, who deals with alcohol abuse, would be the one with the title but the wife says he lost his rights to the boat and trailer when he didn't pick it up. She offered to show me the emails from her lawyer stating that she has the right to do what she wants with the boat/trailer. Again, she says he had 30 days and she's waited over a year for him to pick it up which he has not. It's not a beautiful boat or anything but it is worth installing a few windows to me. I'm just concerned about the transaction and registering issues. Can anyone offer me any advice please?
My advice would be to steer clear until the lady can provide you with clear title.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">