• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights during a separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dodgerfan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My wife told me that upon moving I was to relinquish my key to our home. She will be living in it along with the kids in a joint custody arrangement. The house is in my name only. Am I required to give up access to the house? In the event of an emergency wouldn't it be helpful to enter as fast as possible. I have never Givin her cause to fear for her safety or be concerned that I will be always coming and going as I please. This is blowing me away comming from my wife of 17yrs and who just 3 days ago said we were committed to staying together and it's all she ever wanted. Please help me

Proserpina

My wife told me that upon moving I was to relinquish my key to our home. She will be living in it along with the kids in a joint custody arrangement. The house is in my name only. Am I required to give up access to the house? In the event of an emergency wouldn't it be helpful to enter as fast as possible. I have never Givin her cause to fear for her safety or be concerned that I will be always coming and going as I please. This is blowing me away comming from my wife of 17yrs and who just 3 days ago said we were committed to staying together and it's all she ever wanted. Please help me

You're entitled to come and go as you please right up until the court says otherwise.

This is something you should rethink. Get thee to an attorney, and see what your options are.

(How many emergencies would require your intervention? I'm not being snarky - but the first number called would be 911, surely?)

LdiJ

I agree with what Pro said, but realistically you have to realize that you cannot continue to maintain access to the home your wife will be occupying. If she gets use of the house either by a judge's order or a separation agreement you will need to give up the key.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Put the shoe on the other foot... Will you be giving her a key to your new place?

How old are the children? How likely is it that they will be home alone? And if they will be, why would you not encourage them to learn how to call 911 first? Since emergency services are likely to get there more quickly than you could. Why would you want precious time wasted on a call to you, your arrival and your call to 911, in the event of a true emergency?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">