• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife is already married to someone else. Im deployed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Felledwolf

We live together in Oklahoma but married in Texas because she's married in OK. Anyway she is already married. How do I annul my marriage from over here, she agreed to it. I'm overseas. Thank you!

LdiJ

We live together in Oklahoma but married in Texas because she's married in OK. Anyway she is already married. How do I annul my marriage from over here, she agreed to it. I'm overseas. Thank you!
You actually thought that it was ok to get married in TX just because her marriage was in another state? You would need an attorney if you want to attempt an annulment while you are deployed.

Felledwolf

No. I didn't know. They have been separated for like 6 years. But I've never been to Texas so you know. Stupid privates right. Would she be able to file it? She agrees we need to get annulled

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No. I didn't know. They have been separated for like 6 years. But I've never been to Texas so you know. Stupid privates right. Would she be able to file it? She agrees we need to get annulled
She will admit to committing a felony? Highly doubt that. And she could definitely be charged. Furthermore, OK law would control and it might not allow her to file. I would need to check.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
File for what? TX law says that their marriage is void. That means it never happened.

justalayman

Stupid privates right.

I love double entendre's.

You should hire a lawyer. Based on your first post you both knowingly committed fraud. If either of you have benefitted due to the illegal marriage you could be in for a lot of trouble. Have you ever been to Leavenworth? If not you might get the opportunity.

And before you say you haven't done anything fraudulent yet, well given you are in the military I wonde if the wife or you have recieved any benefits available to a married military person or their spouse.

justalayman

If you have never been to Texas, how did you apply for a marriage license in Texas and be married in Texas?

I think we have a troll here folks.

single317dad

I think we have a troll here folks.
Thus far, I think most of the board is reading too much into the OP's situation, filling in blanks for information not volunteered. It's possible that he had never been to Texas before the time he got married there, that he didn't have any knowledge of the previous marriage, and doesn't realize that he's better off working with the relevant prosecuting attorney than he is with his "wife".

I reserve the right to be proven wrong, as is the custom.

davew128

Thus far, I think most of the board is reading too much into the OP's situation, filling in blanks for information not volunteered. It's possible that he had never been to Texas before the time he got married there, that he didn't have any knowledge of the previous marriage, and doesn't realize that he's better off working with the relevant prosecuting attorney than he is with his "wife".

I reserve the right to be proven wrong, as is the custom.
As someone who became involved with a "divorced woman" some time ago, I was less than pleased to find out I was with her for two years before her marriage was legally dissolved, moreso because I had been assured she was divorced than anything else.

FlyingRon

Bigamous marriages are ab initio void in Texas. You are not married. You assisted your wife in committing a FELONY.

OHRoadwarrior

You better discuss this with your JAG. You likely owe uncle sugar for all benefits she received and it might save you a court marshal. You also need to have a TX formally recognize the marriage as void.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">