• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife changed the locks on the doors!!!! HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

californiaman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My 11 year old daughter from another marriage moved in with us about 2 months ago from out of state ( like 1500 miles away). My wife and I got in an argument, I went to stay with my daughter from a previous marriage and my visiting son ages 15 and 11 at our vacation home. She notified me that changed the locks on the primary home and she wants me out of the vacation home. She wants me to contact her and arrange to have mine and my childrens things picked up. Both homes are in her name. She is also my employer and has not paid me for 3 weeks leaving me without any money although she is wealthy. We also have a daughter together living at the primary home as well as her son from a previous marriage. She sent the police here to the vacation home yesterday saying I was removing furniture ( I was not). She says she has let a friend stay here this weekend and she wants me and the children out, effectively putting us out with no money. She is threatening to come up here with the police to have us removed. What can I do?????

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My 11 year old daughter from another marriage moved in with us about 2 months ago from out of state ( like 1500 miles away). My wife and I got in an argument, I went to stay with my daughter from a previous marriage and my visiting son ages 15 and 11 at our vacation home. She notified me that changed the locks on the primary home and she wants me out of the vacation home. She wants me to contact her and arrange to have mine and my childrens things picked up. Both homes are in her name. She is also my employer and has not paid me for 3 weeks leaving me without any money although she is wealthy. We also have a daughter together living at the primary home as well as her son from a previous marriage. She sent the police here to the vacation home yesterday saying I was removing furniture ( I was not). She says she has let a friend stay here this weekend and she wants me and the children out, effectively putting us out with no money. She is threatening to come up here with the police to have us removed. What can I do?????
Get to an attorney. She can not legally make you move. The only way she can get the police to take you out is if she reports domestic violence.

Your attorney will provide you with the options, but I would guess that they would include:
1. Paying legal fees from marital assets. If she is truly wealthy, you shouldn't have to worry about your legal expenses.
2. Temporary residence issues. Perhaps you get the vacation home temporarily and she keeps the other home or vice versa. If that won't work, then you will request temporary support so you can afford a place.
3. Temporary custody. Make sure you have a copy of the police report where she falsely reported you. Things like that can impact custody - and would probably be grounds for you to demand temporary custody of the child you have together and temporary possession of the marital home. The fact that she let a friend stay in the house but not her husband will also be an issue - particularly if the friend was of the opposite sex.
4. File an emergency order for her to resume paying your salary, including any back salary.

That's just temporary stuff. You will then begin working on the final divorce settlement where you will be entitled to half of the marital assets. The fact that the homes are in her name is not relevant. What is relevant is when they were purchased and whether they were paid for with marital monies. Also, you may be entitled to a portion of the business, again depending on circumstances. You will also have to decide on permanent custody (or the court will do it for you). One of the big issues there is which parent will best support a relationship with the other parent. You need to take the high road here-she's not starting off well.

Meanwhile, you need to start looking for a new job. It is obvious that you can not continue to work for her.

californiaman

Thank you so much. I just got another email from her saying she is getting the police to remove me. What should I tell them?

LdiJ

Thank you so much. I just got another email from her saying she is getting the police to remove me. What should I tell them?
You should tell them that the house is a marital residence, no divorce has been filed yet, and no judge has made orders giving her sole use of the home. Therefore you aren't going anywhere at this time.

Then, you need to find yourself another job and an attorney, ASAP. You also need to tell her that if she does not pay you the wages you are owed, immediately, that you are going to report her to the NLRB. (or the FL equivalent).

Tallrat

tell them your married and it's your house also. Cops cant evict you anyway without eviction notice. Call that lawyer now!.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">