• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife is moving into her own apartment, not legally seperated - property question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brumboz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My wife and I are not currently legally separated and neither of us have filed for divorce. She has chosen to sign a lease on an apartment and is planning on living there for at least 6 months. I am staying in the house we own now. My question: there are certain household items (furniture, appliances, etc) which were purchased (not gifts, not previously owned before we were married) with funds earned during our marriage. Is there any sort of legal right as far as this type of property staying or leaving in the house when we cannot agree on whether particular large items are going to the apartment or staying?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My wife and I are not currently legally separated and neither of us have filed for divorce. She has chosen to sign a lease on an apartment and is planning on living there for at least 6 months. I am staying in the house we own now. My question: there are certain household items (furniture, appliances, etc) which were purchased (not gifts, not previously owned before we were married) with funds earned during our marriage. Is there any sort of legal right as far as this type of property staying or leaving in the house when we cannot agree on whether particular large items are going to the apartment or staying?
You are going to have to divide the household furnishings equally...50/50.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">