• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife wants our house we both bought together in Arizona, Maricopa want my name off

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

time2move

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona, Maricopa

MY wife wants our house and I moved out temp which she would not let
me return afterwards back on Jan 2015. The house we both purchased together
is in both our names, both on the deed & mortgage. She wants me to walk away and turn
over the house to her in the divorce papers she filed this week 4/7 I also filed papers on 4/6
one day ahead of her case. So I asked for dissolution on 4/6 that I want the house sold 50/50. Could I asked to put in the dissolution you want your name off the title and mortgage, removed? From what I am seeing the house would have to be sold or refianced by my wife to totally remove me from the liability of the mortgage that we both share for the next 15 years.

TIA.
Time2move

Last edited:

single317dad

It seems thus far you haven't done well asserting your rights to your marital property. In my opinion, you should consult a local divorce attorney to advise you on the process going forward.

You are entitled to a fair share of the equity in marital assets. If you want to trade the equity in the house for some other consideration from your wife, that's OK as long as you both agree. If you can't come to an agreement, then eventually the judge will decide, possibly with the help of a mediator. There is no way for either of you to force the other to give up their fair interest in the marital property.

time2move

It seems thus far you haven't done well asserting your rights to your marital property. In my opinion, you should consult a local divorce attorney to advise you on the process going forward.

You are entitled to a fair share of the equity in marital assets. If you want to trade the equity in the house for some other consideration from your wife, that's OK as long as you both agree. If you can't come to an agreement, then eventually the judge will decide, possibly with the help of a mediator. There is no way for either of you to force the other to give up their fair interest in the marital property.
Ty very much did'nt see it coming

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">