• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My wife's hidden bank accounts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bloodly1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My wife has at least four other bank accoutns that she's been stuffing for a while. I discovered deposit slips, but she figured my safe combination and took them. I have only one deposit slip with the last four numbers. I know the other banks that she has accounts with... and on to my question.

How do I attain the information to these accounts>? Can I freeze them? What forms must I prepare? Thank you bunches, Marc

LdiJ

My wife has at least four other bank accoutns that she's been stuffing for a while. I discovered deposit slips, but she figured my safe combination and took them. I have only one deposit slip with the last four numbers. I know the other banks that she has accounts with... and on to my question.

How do I attain the information to these accounts>? Can I freeze them? What forms must I prepare? Thank you bunches, Marc
She can be restrained from dissipating martial funds, but no, you cannot freeze her bank accounts. Its also not dissipating if money is used for paying for an attorney, or ordinary and necessary living expenses.

If you have these sorts of things going on, hiding of potential marital funds etc., then you really cannot afford to be attempting to do anything without an attorney.

Stuffing with marital money? Unfortunately I don't think you can freeze anything without a court order pursuant to litigation. Just make sure you keep good records of everything. Sounds like the games have begun though...and if she fiqured your safe combo...you better get yourself somewhere else to store all your documents...and I suggest you download all the files and email from your computer onto a portable drive, change your passwords routinely...and get copies of all phone records! As for her bank accounts...if they are in her name they are easily traceable. If it's her money...she'll still have to divulge and prove that once you file. You better get into the game fast...check your credit report....go over your bank statements and your credit card statements...and talk to an attorney ASAP.

bloodly1

I appreciate your replies. My wife ran my once flawless credit into the ground with credit cards sent to her parents office address. She stashed my BMW, that was registered in my name only, at her new cop boyfriend's house. When I reported it stolen, this cop sent his buddies to my house and insinuated charges of terroristic threats... yet no police report was made and there is no record of me calling in nor them being dispatched.

I'll chalk it up to lesson learned. As it stands, she'll most likely have to pay me alimony. She drained all accounts and left me with nothing. She was kind enough to take only one of our three dogs. I should be thankful.

:rolleyes:

Farfalla

My ex did similar things… opened accounts only in his name, put money in accounts in his mother’s name, made mortgage payments in his mother’s and father’s homes (his name in on their deeds). And while he was moving marital assets into these secret places… he was in med school and I was supporting him, our son and myself. So it was basically the money I earned running my business that he was stashing.

I never found it all (he stole a LOT from me)… but I did find a lot of it. I just started checking his papers, his car, etc every chance I got. The trash is a treasure trove of such things… people just don’t think about what they toss. He was furious in the divorce when I produced a great paper trail and had most of what he had moved become part of the divorce settlement.
I appreciate your replies. My wife ran my once flawless credit into the ground with credit cards sent to her parents office address.
Were the cards in your name? Is that how they affected your credit?

If you can show in the divorce that she got cards in your name and then hid them from you by having them go to her parent’s addy, she might get stuck with all that debt.

From experience there are things you can do to protect yourself. .. These all worked for me.

Put in a change of address form for YOURSELF (do not mark the ‘family’ box as we don’t want mail fraud here) at the address of her parent’s business and any other place she receives mail. That way if she is having credit cards and other things in your name go there you can find out.

Rent a mail box (Mail Boxes, Etc will do ). This way you can have all of your mail go to a place that is safe from her.

Since she got in your safe… I guess she has access to your home. Rent a very small storage space.. I had a 5x5ft room in one of those climate controlled places. One where only the person whose name was on the lease and whose photo they had could enter the facility. A couple of shelves, file boxes, and a chair… I was able to keep important papers where my than husband could not get them…. That where I kept paper trail I put together of his stashed marital assets. Move your safe to your storage space.

One way to find out her bank accounts might be to order cancelled checks from your bank that you believe where cashed at her bank… her account numbers might be on the back of those checks.

She stashed my BMW, that was registered in my name only, at her new cop boyfriend's house. When I reported it stolen, this cop sent his buddies to my house and insinuated charges of terroristic threats... yet no police report was made and there is no record of me calling in nor them being dispatched.
Did you get your car back?

I'll chalk it up to lesson learned. As it stands, she'll most likely have to pay me alimony.
Why? How long have you been married? How many children do you have? What kind of jobs/careers do each of you have? Have you been staying home playing full time dad and house keeper to support her I in her career? What would be your claim to alimony?

She drained all accounts and left me with nothing. She was kind enough to take only one of our three dogs. I should be thankful.
People just get mean when they leave a marriage… it’s as though the only way they can get themselves to leave is if they manufacture a crisis. If you can build a good paper trail and proof of what she has done, the assets are still there… they still belong to both of you.

mistoffolees

I appreciate your replies. My wife ran my once flawless credit into the ground with credit cards sent to her parents office address. She stashed my BMW, that was registered in my name only, at her new cop boyfriend's house. When I reported it stolen, this cop sent his buddies to my house and insinuated charges of terroristic threats... yet no police report was made and there is no record of me calling in nor them being dispatched.
That's pretty hard to believe.

I guess it's remotely possible that if you report a stolen BMW that a local police department might hide the paperwork. But why didn't you file a claim with your insurance company? They're not going to drop it that quickly.

Or go to the State Police and explain the situation.

bloodly1

I realize this is tough to believe... the police, I'm afraid, are my wife's friends. The good news is that my wife, in an effort to corral anyone she can and force feed them lies about me, happen to corral the wrong person. My cousin didn't believe a word of it... and when it got back to me. I turned in 3 huge bins of stuff my wife had been stealing, including a crap load of patient info(doctor's orders, test results, everything you can put on paper and is private) to Human Resources. I know it's counterproductive of me to sabotage her job, but I had to do something to shut her up. Her father is a heart surgeon in the same hospital... so I can only assume that is why she didn't get fired. She did, however, lose her $200,000 administrative position, and was forced to either resign or head back to the floors to care for patients.

She's pretty much buried herself. When she filed for a TRO, she lied through her teeth and said I was convicted of Domestic Abuse stemming from an Oscar worthy performance when I didn't harm a hair on her head. I was arrested but charges dismissed, and I was NOT convicted of squat. In fact, I found the police report that she had been hiding. She was asked if there was any reason why she would make this story up and she flat out told them that she wanted to hurt me because she had to work and I wasn't. (It didn't bother her when I worked 16 hrs 6 days a week putting her through RN school) When I started school, she started hiding money. When I asked where it was, she answered back with rage like I've never known. I've come to understand that she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Long story short... she sucked the life out of me, and when she was done, she walked away over a month ago with not a word. The cop she has snowed will learn the hard way what kind of person she is.

Until August 11, I have to stretch $150.00. I've already received an eviction notice. My phone will be shut off soon, so a lawyer is out of the question. Does anyone know how and if I could apply for emergency temporary spousal support? I have more than two weeks to wait till the restraint order hearing. I got served with divorce papers a week ago, but they were stamped on the 26th of June. So I need to hurry.

LdiJ

I realize this is tough to believe... the police, I'm afraid, are my wife's friends. The good news is that my wife, in an effort to corral anyone she can and force feed them lies about me, happen to corral the wrong person. My cousin didn't believe a word of it... and when it got back to me. I turned in 3 huge bins of stuff my wife had been stealing, including a crap load of patient info(doctor's orders, test results, everything you can put on paper and is private) to Human Resources. I know it's counterproductive of me to sabotage her job, but I had to do something to shut her up. Her father is a heart surgeon in the same hospital... so I can only assume that is why she didn't get fired. She did, however, lose her $200,000 administrative position, and was forced to either resign or head back to the floors to care for patients.

She's pretty much buried herself. When she filed for a TRO, she lied through her teeth and said I was convicted of Domestic Abuse stemming from an Oscar worthy performance when I didn't harm a hair on her head. I was arrested but charges dismissed, and I was NOT convicted of squat. In fact, I found the police report that she had been hiding. She was asked if there was any reason why she would make this story up and she flat out told them that she wanted to hurt me because she had to work and I wasn't. (It didn't bother her when I worked 16 hrs 6 days a week putting her through RN school) When I started school, she started hiding money. When I asked where it was, she answered back with rage like I've never known. I've come to understand that she has Narcissistic Personality Disorder.

Long story short... she sucked the life out of me, and when she was done, she walked away over a month ago with not a word. The cop she has snowed will learn the hard way what kind of person she is.

Until August 11, I have to stretch $150.00. I've already received an eviction notice. My phone will be shut off soon, so a lawyer is out of the question. Does anyone know how and if I could apply for emergency temporary spousal support? I have more than two weeks to wait till the restraint order hearing. I got served with divorce papers a week ago, but they were stamped on the 26th of June. So I need to hurry.
If you wanted spousal support, you shouldn't have sabotaged her 200k job. Never, ever mess with where the money comes from.

Farfalla

To get temporary spousal support you will need an attorney. Have you tried legal aid?

Sounds like its time for you to get a job.

bloodly1

It's funny that no one had a problem with her going to school when I worked 16 hours a day and had to commute to the bay area. But when she graduates and it's my turn, all the money disappears, engine blows up.... twice. I find myself put in a stranded and hopeless situation by the person I thought was on my team.

Listen, I'm not here to whine. I am where I am with no money as she left me trying to make due with what I have. I was hoping that I didn't have to mention that I was run over and broke both legs, both arms, every one of my ribs, collapsed lungs*both*.... and I don't have the time nor inclination to keep listing as there isn't enough room.

So you answered my questions about the temp spousal support, thanks. As for your little quip about me 'getting a job'. I still have three surgeries left I was really hoping that my wife would return the favor

Last edited by a moderator:

majomom1

It's funny that no one had a problem with her going to school when I worked 16 hours a day and had to commute to the bay area. But when she graduates and it's my turn, all the money disappears, engine blows up.... twice. I find myself put in a stranded and hopeless situation by the person I thought was on my team.

Listen, I'm not here to whine. I am where I am with no money as she left me trying to make due with what I have. I was hoping that I didn't have to mention that I was run over and broke both legs, both arms, every one of my ribs, collapsed lungs*both*.... and I don't have the time nor inclination to keep listing as there isn't enough room.

So you answered my questions about the temp spousal support, thanks. As for your little quip about me 'getting a job'. I still have three surgeries left I was really hoping that my wife would return the favor .
I am really sorry about your wife... that really sucks. I personally believe that you should be able to trust your "family" first.

But to call anyone on this board a "wise guy" is unacceptable. We cannot see you, or read your mind. We can only respond to what is written and "most" posters will skew the facts... One of the first things we will do here is question your story. We have all been where you are now, in some fashion, and we are here trying to help others.

If you don't give all the facts then you shouldn't be "offended" with the advice, or questions, that you get.

Last edited by a moderator:

bloodly1

I'm truly sorry. This has been an overwhelmingly traumatic event in my life. I'm alone, broke, busted... and void of any light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I apologize if I offended anyone.

LdiJ

I'm truly sorry. This has been an overwhelmingly traumatic event in my life. I'm alone, broke, busted... and void of any light at the end of the proverbial tunnel. I apologize if I offended anyone.
You might have been able to get temporary spousal support....but your problem is that you killed the cash cow and that makes it much more difficult. You possibly still could possibly get some temporary support, but the amount would be far lower than it would have been.

If the judge finds out however, that you are the one who caused her to lose her 200k a year job, that could also bite you in the rear.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The BMW belongs to both of you as you are married. Hence why the police will not retrieve it from your wife. You need a court to retrieve it. And how can YOU afford a BMW?

bloodly1

How? Maybe because I worked? I dunno. I only quit my job when my wife got hired on as an RN with a great salary. Then it was suppose to be my turn. But I had purchased the car long before I stopped working to return to school. It was in my name only because my wife's credit was so hosed up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">