• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2xLoser-

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

Me and my wife are getting divorced, she has 2 kids from a previous marriage with X last name, when we divorce I want her to give back my name, she refuses to do so, my last name is very uncommon, less than 400 people in the world, is it possible for the judge to force her to change it, my last name is not binding her to anything, her kids last name is not mine, i could see if we had a child it would make sense just for simplicity...

seniorjudge

Q: Me and my wife are getting divorced, she has 2 kids from a previous marriage with X last name, when we divorce I want her to give back my name, she refuses to do so, my last name is very uncommon, less than 400 people in the world, is it possible for the judge to force her to change it, my last name is not binding her to anything, her kids last name is not mine, i could see if we had a child it would make sense just for simplicity...

A: To my knowledge, there is no way a court can force someone to change his or her name.

CourtClerk

At the point where she changed her name, the last name became hers, not just yours. Therefore, if she chooses to keep it, she can. Why? Because it's HER last name and the courts don't MAKE anyone change their name.

2xLoser-

i didnt plan on her being a cheater either :)

I gave her my name with the understanding that she would keep her vows sacred, she broke that, so i want what i gave her under the original intent

no?

2xLoser-

If you don't want to have the same name as her, simple solution: YOU change YOUR name.
uh, no, its my name, my lineage, i will get creative and have her change it, there is no reason for her not to, other than she is being stubborn, the way i look it is... she must still want to be Mrs. X... otherwise change your name to match yours kids, and move one.

nextwife

uh, no, its my name, my lineage, i will get creative and have her change it, there is no reason for her not to, other than she is being stubborn, the way i look it is... she must still want to be Mrs. X... otherwise change your name to match yours kids, and move one.

Well, since you have never changed YOUR name and have no clue what a pain it is to do so, nor do you think a name change is an desirable thing to do, you have no business carrying on about what someone else should do with theirs.

I know that the one name change that I did was the ONLY name change I will ever do, no matter what! It's too complicated to change passports, frequent flyer, credit cards, stock and savings, 401Ks etc, etc. You cannot control what another person chooses to do with THEIR name.

2xLoser-

Well, since you have never changed YOUR name and have no clue what a pain it is to do so, nor do you think a name change is an desirable thing to do, you have no business carrying on about what someone else should do with theirs.

I know that the one name change that I did was the ONLY name change I will ever do, no matter what! It's too complicated to change passports, frequent flyer, credit cards, stock and savings, 401Ks etc, etc. You cannot control what another person chooses to do with THEIR name.
Wow, aren't YOU just a ray of sunshine, whoever divorced you got their monies worth, no matter what the cost.

To give you a little lesson there Mrs. Attitude, a surname is a FAMILY name, she entered my family and got the name, on the way out, you give it back, that's the rules.

Since a judge will not force her to change it, I will.

nextwife

Wow, aren't YOU just a ray of sunshine, whoever divorced you got their monies worth, no matter what the cost.

To give you a little lesson there Mrs. Attitude, a surname is a FAMILY name, she entered my family and got the name, on the way out, you give it back, that's the rules.

Since a judge will not force her to change it, I will.
Kindly cite the statute where that "rule" exists.

How do you believe you can "force" her to change her name?

2xLoser-

Kindly cite the statute where that "rule" exists.

How do you believe you can "force" her to change her name?
I plan on taking all the bills, and giving HER a home with about 60k in equity for her to sell... she can give back MY name, or we can let TX split the estate and all marital debt, I make a ton of money and will be fine either way, if she wants to be difficult, she will be broke and ruined.

Oh, and no, there is no way she can get my money, that has already been taken care of.

All I want is MY name and a signed decree.

TinkerBelleLuvr

If she VOLUNTARILY changes her name, fine.

But LEGALLY, no judge will MAKE her change her name.

You really are full of it, aren't you?

2xLoser-

If she VOLUNTARILY changes her name, fine.

But LEGALLY, no judge will MAKE her change her name.

You really are full of it, aren't you?
Full of... confidence, pride? Yes

SHE will VOLUNTARILY change HER name and give me MINE back.

YOU certainly are a bitter old woman, maybe if you would curb the attitude you could land a guy, or are there more issues than just personality?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">