• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

missyro

What is the name of your state: Massachusetts

When I got Married I hyphenated my name on the marriage license/certificate to include both my husbands name as well as my own maiden name.
I never changed my name on Social Security cards, bills, bank accounts, Drivers license.. or anything. I have only used my maiden name for tha past 6 years.
I am now getting divorced. Do I file the papers with my married name and just put the request to resume with my maiden name?
Or do I have to add something? I have never actually used my married name - but it is on my marriage certificate.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
What is the name of your state: Massachusetts

When I got Married I hyphenated my name on the marriage license/certificate to include both my husbands name as well as my own maiden name.
I never changed my name on Social Security cards, bills, bank accounts, Drivers license.. or anything. I have only used my maiden name for tha past 6 years.
I am now getting divorced. Do I file the papers with my married name and just put the request to resume with my maiden name?
Or do I have to add something? I have never actually used my married name - but it is on my marriage certificate.
I've always had my name changed back to my maiden name in the actual divorce decree (3 times now); saves time and money. :p

missyro

I plan to do that so I dont have this concern any longer, However when I file the divorce papers - Do I file under my married name since that Is what is on my marriage certificate or do I file with my maiden name since I have never actually used my married name-nor have I switched my SS# or Driver License.. Help?

LdiJ

I plan to do that so I dont have this concern any longer, However when I file the divorce papers - Do I file under my married name since that Is what is on my marriage certificate or do I file with my maiden name since I have never actually used my married name-nor have I switched my SS# or Driver License.. Help?
Despite what you put on your marriage certificate, you never legally changed your last name. Therefore you would file it under your maiden name.

You also wouldn't need to have the divorce decree change your last name to your maiden name, because you never gave up your maiden name in the first place.

mistoffolees

Despite what you put on your marriage certificate, you never legally changed your last name. Therefore you would file it under your maiden name.

You also wouldn't need to have the divorce decree change your last name to your maiden name, because you never gave up your maiden name in the first place.
But she put her hyphenated name on the marriage certificate. I believe that constitutes a change of name. For example, my ex-wife never filed any paperwork except the marriage certificate - and her legal name became the new name (mine) that she put on the marriage certificate. After the divorce, she kept that name because it was now her legal name.

missyro

Does anyone here truly know what my legal name would be at this point? Although I though I wanted to change it at the time, and my marriage certificate has my married name I have not used it since nor changed it on my ss or drivers license. Help?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Does anyone here truly know what my legal name would be at this point? Although I though I wanted to change it at the time, and my marriage certificate has my married name I have not used it since nor changed it on my ss or drivers license. Help?
File as the name on your marriage license AKA name on your social

You now have an alias. Congrats.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">