• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janice4Him

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, I was married for only 4 mths. and now getting divorced. The only legal document changed into the new name was my driver's license, everything else (i.e. SS card; car registration; credit/debit cards; bank account, etc.) is still in the old name. I am planning to change it back after the divorce but am wondering how long that will take?

I have moved to another state recently and wanted to get my driver's license but don't know if I should wait until it's final and then file paperwork to get name changed back before getting my new license. If it's going to take 2-3 mths. to get it changed, should I go ahead and get the new one even if it's in my married name and then go back when the name change is final?

I am a little confused about this because I thought you requested the name change during the divorce proceedings and not wait until after it's final and then do the paperwork. I am looking for a job and don't know which name to use now...due to my SS # still being in the old name.

Thank you for your help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

Hello, I was married for only 4 mths. and now getting divorced. The only legal document changed into the new name was my driver's license, everything else (i.e. SS card; car registration; credit/debit cards; bank account, etc.) is still in the old name. I am planning to change it back after the divorce but am wondering how long that will take?

I have moved to another state recently and wanted to get my driver's license but don't know if I should wait until it's final and then file paperwork to get name changed back before getting my new license. If it's going to take 2-3 mths. to get it changed, should I go ahead and get the new one even if it's in my married name and then go back when the name change is final?

I am a little confused about this because I thought you requested the name change during the divorce proceedings and not wait until after it's final and then do the paperwork. I am looking for a job and don't know which name to use now...due to my SS # still being in the old name.

Thank you for your help!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If your name hasn't been changed with the SSA, then your name was never changed and I don't know how you managed to get a driver's license with your husband's last name.

Janice4Him

Well, that was easy. I took the marriage certificate (which had my old name) and all the other necessary ID info they request and they issued me a new license. Now I'm more confused than ever because the DMV (here) is telling me I have to have the divorce decree or name change document to change it on my license, otherwise it will be issued in the married name until then. So, which is it? Is my "legal" name considered what is on my SS card?

LdiJ

Well, that was easy. I took the marriage certificate (which had my old name) and all the other necessary ID info they request and they issued me a new license. Now I'm more confused than ever because the DMV (here) is telling me I have to have the divorce decree or name change document to change it on my license, otherwise it will be issued in the married name until then. So, which is it? Is my "legal" name considered what is on my SS card?
Yes, your "legal" name is the name on your SS card. You never legally changed your last name if you didn't change it with the SSA, so you are in a "catch 22" with the DMV.

You may have to start over with the DMV. You may have to act as though you never had a license to start with, and use your birth certificate and SS card to allow you to take the test and get a license...like a teen.

It was really a bit dumb to change your license when you hadn't legally changed your last name.

Janice4Him

It was really a bit dumb to change your license when you hadn't legally changed your last name.

It would've been dumber to allow my license to expire! Thanks for the info.

LdiJ

It would've been dumber to allow my license to expire! Thanks for the info.
If it was going to expire, then you should have renewed it using your LEGAL name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">