• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Raine19

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My sister was divorced 2 1/2 years ago. She was completely defastasted. She has finally gotten over him and wants to go back to her maiden name. Everything I look up asked for money to pay for a package on how to do this. Could someone tell me what exactly she has to do and the approximate cost?
Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania
My sister was divorced 2 1/2 years ago. She was completely defastasted. She has finally gotten over him and wants to go back to her maiden name. Everything I look up asked for money to pay for a package on how to do this. Could someone tell me what exactly she has to do and the approximate cost?
Thanks
She would have to file in court for a name change. She can probably do it without an attorney but she would have to pay whatever filing fees her local court charges.

Her local courthouse may have the necessary forms available to file the petition, or they may be available online at her state government website.

Once she gets the court order for the name change, then she will have to take the necessary steps to change her name with the Social Security Administration, the DMV, and with everyone else.

pittrocks

she could go to the courthouse in the county where the divorce was finalized and file for a name change. You fill out a form and get it notorized, then pay the filing fee. I live in PA and paid $10 to change back to my maiden name, even before my divorce was final.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
she could go to the courthouse in the county where the divorce was finalized and file for a name change. You fill out a form and get it notorized, then pay the filing fee. I live in PA and paid $10 to change back to my maiden name, even before my divorce was final.
YOu did not do publication for the name change? That is normally required.

pittrocks

no, I didn't...the court clerk's office took my paperwork and said they would finish everything. It was very convenient--went to the clerk's office, got the form, and went down the hall to the sheriff's office to get it notarized, then went back to the clerk's office and paid the filing fee.

of course, it may have been that easy because the divorce was pending at the time...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">