• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name Change on Divorce Docs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wookeesaurus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

Hello,

Here's my delema:

I divorced in 2005 - on AZ divorce docs there is an option to change "back to" one's maiden name upon completion of the divorce. I opted for this, but instead of including my maiden name, I put one of my middle names (I had two), so that I could - from that day forward - use that name as my last name. In other words, I fibbed. Well, now I'm trying to get a copy of my birth certificate through the state of Oklahoma, and they're needing an official "Change of Name" document from Arizona.

So, here's where I'm getting worried. Will I get into some real trouble for fibbing the name change if I do try to get a "Change of Name" through my local court??? My SSN has also been changed to read what my divorce decree also reads, and this is where I'm concerned - will I now be seen as having had a "false" identity these past few years, or am I worried for nothing??

Any advice anyone can give would be very appreciated......

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Legally that is your name now however you may have issues with a birth certificate since there is not one with that name.

VeronicaLodge

presumably she could show a paper trail of her name changing from maiden name to married name to new name.

it wouldnt really be different than me trying to get a birth cert copy and i had a maiden name, married name, new married name. right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">