• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Name change at divorce to remarry

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dovecat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I included in my divorce decree to have my maiden name back.
I am now going to remarry in Vegas but have not changed any of my id's back to the maiden name.
If I remarry using my divorced name, will my new marriage be valid?

justalayman

Yes but don't be surprised if you have complications in the future due to your lack of changing the names on your ID's and accounts when you had the divorce.

Also don't be surprised if people will not accept your current ID's with you using your most recently acquired name.

formerNCM

I am now going to remarry in Vegas but have not changed any of my id's back to the maiden name.
The marriage is valid - are you keeping your current surname or taking your new husband's surname? If you change your name, you'll need to update... everything.

Good luck!

dovecat

thanks for the responses

Never been on this site and thank you for your responses. I will look further into this after Christmas. And yes - My ink is dry - was married 20 years and I'm not a serial bride. I hope I never become as cynical as other people my age.

Banned_Princess

I would also just like to point out, if the ink was dry on your divorce order, it was a while ago, no serial divorcing for you... then why had you not followed the order, and had your name changed back?

And a quick note to mis formal ncm, get over yourself, who are you to decide what belongs here or not. all 110 of your posts are un-useful garbage. you will probably be gone in a NY minute anyway... so get over it, or get gone. running all around this board trying to prove a point we all already know. cut it out.

Rushia

I would also just like to point out, if the ink was dry on your divorce order, it was a while ago, no serial divorcing for you... then why had you not followed the order, and had your name changed back?
Most divorce orders include verbiage that the name CAN be changed, not that it HAS to be changed.

Banned_Princess

Well, she said it was in the decree that she had to, but then she didn't. lol, I thought that was what the whole issue was, I mean if she didn't have to via court order, then I doubt she would have any question.

Christmas Cheers :)

ecmst12

Did you change your name back to your maiden name with social security? If not, then your (first) married name is still your legal name.

Rushia

Well, she said it was in the decree that she had to, but then she didn't. lol, I thought that was what the whole issue was, I mean if she didn't have to via court order, then I doubt she would have any question.

Christmas Cheers :)
I quoted the OP for you. I also stand by what I said. Most divorce orders include the verbiage that the name CAN be changed not that it HAS to be changed. Her question is her wondering if her new marriage would be legal cause she did/did not do it. My only confusion is whether she DID do and didn't change her ID'S over or just didn't do it at all.

We have had many posters (usually the new wife or the exhusband) complaining that the ex wife did not change her name back and we tell them all the time that outside of unusual circumstances that it's typical language included in the divorce that they are misinterpreting.

mistoffolees

Most divorce orders include verbiage that the name CAN be changed, not that it HAS to be changed.
That's an excellent point. OP, what is the exact wording of your decree that discusses the name change? Or, if it was simply a check box on the forms, tell us exactly what the form says.

As Rushia says, it may not be an issue at all. HOWEVER, if that's the case, you will want to use your (1st) married name - since you never changed everything to your maiden name.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">