• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

name remove

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dvine

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Navada

I just got divorce and we both got one house each and most debt are in my name. How do I got about getting his name off the mortgage and my credit cards? I asked the bank they told me that I have to refi to get his name off. Is that true? The divorce paper was sign and the property is mine.

thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I just got divorce and we both got one house each and most debt are in my name. How do I got about getting his name off the mortgage and my credit cards? I asked the bank they told me that I have to refi to get his name off. Is that true? The divorce paper was sign and the property is mine.

thanks
The bank is not a party to the divorce. You will need to refi the debts in order to remove him.

Silverplum

thanks
Yes, that is true.

ETA: I can't beat The Zig if my system is running veeerrrryyy sloooooowly today! ;)

mistoffolees

The bank is not a party to the divorce. You will need to refi the debts in order to remove him.
This is normally true. There are a couple of other alternatives that would not require refinancing, though.

1. Sell the house and pay off the mortgage and use other assets to pay off the credit cards.

2. If you have enough equity and a very good credit rating, the bank may let you do a simple paperwork transaction to remove your ex's name from the mortgage.

3. For the credit cards, if your credit is good enough, you can open new credit cards and roll the balance over and then close the old ones. This would be the same impact as refinancing the credit cards, but would not require the approval of the existing bank (you could use a different bank).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is normally true. There are a couple of other alternatives that would not require refinancing, though.

1. Sell the house and pay off the mortgage and use other assets to pay off the credit cards.

2. If you have enough equity and a very good credit rating, the bank may let you do a simple paperwork transaction to remove your ex's name from the mortgage.

3. For the credit cards, if your credit is good enough, you can open new credit cards and roll the balance over and then close the old ones. This would be the same impact as refinancing the credit cards, but would not require the approval of the existing bank (you could use a different bank).
I don't disagree with you - but I do want to point out that the bank already told our OP she'd need to refi the property...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">