• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

nasty broken engagement, need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seamor512

What is the name of your state? Georgia

Hello everyone,

I'll get straight to the point. I was in a relationship with a woman of 3 years and we were engaged and living together. Last month I fell in love with another woman and broke things off with the fiance. After a week or so of emotion we sat down and wrote up a contract of our things, the biggest of which was my vehicle. My car was financed in her name for credit reasons 17 months ago and I have not missed a single payment or insurance payment. Car was well taken care of and I had put in around 6 thousand dollars into it. I have the contract that she typed printed out and signed by me but everytime I asked her to sign it she would come up with a new excuse not to. She told me on numerous occasions she did not want the car she only wanted me to come up with my own financing for the vehicle. A few days after I moved into my new apartment I get a knock on my door at 1:30AM from 2 people I have never met. They show me an order and tell me they are there to repo my car. I look at it and notice that the order is not from her or the bank, but from her father. I inform them he has no rights to the car but they insist on taking it anyways. If it wasn't so late and I was thinking clearly I would have called the police and had them removed as they did not call me to let them into my gated complex. During this time I'm thinking she has no idea what her father is doing and ask them if we can go to her place to get this squared away, they agree and follow me to her apartment. She refuses to have any contact with me, she even changed her number and during the times we had met to talk her mom would always be there. Now, we are 27 and 28 and personally I think this is rediculous but thats beside the point. During this time her father is on the phone with this "repo" company telling them he is the owner and that a payment was missed, which I can prove was not the case. I have a printout from my bank showing the entire payment history as they were made directly to the financing company.

So we all arrive at her apartment and I lightly knock on the door asking for her to come out, her response (or her mothers) is calling the police on a domestic disturbance call. Three cops show up and I begin talking to them about the situation while she stays holed up in her apartment. They tell the repo company to go home as they have no real claim or legitimate reason to be there, and go in to talk to the ex-fiance. She tells them she wants the car and I am forced to leave it there. My question to you is, is there any legal way for me to get the money I put into the car back or sue for fraud / pain and suffering/ invasion of privacy?

Here is what I have :

1. A complete payment history for the car , insurance and maintenence of the vehicle, she has not paid a dime or ever even driven the car.

2. A copy of the "repo" claim from her father to the company. It was not issued from the financing bank or the owner of the car or signed by any of them.

3. The police report from the nights incident.

4. She took my laptop from a few nights before and had a copy of my computer made by an IT professional. This laptop has my company's private documents on it.

5. Some of my personal belongings are still in the car.

6. I have to have a car from work and have been struggling to find transportation.

7. I have a witness who was there the night of the police call.

Do I have any type of case, keep in mind that the car was in her name, but I paid every cent on it. I have tried every possible avenue to get in contact with her to settle this thing as adults and peacefully, I was going to give her thousands of dollars for things I really did not need to in order to keep things smooth but that has all gone out the window now. I am going to magistrate court on monday to fill out the papers so any kind of advice (positive or negative) would be appreciated. This is kind of my last option unless anyone has a better solution. Thank you.

las365

is there any legal way for me to get the money I put into the car back or sue for fraud / pain and suffering/ invasion of privacy?
Those who know better than I can opine as to whether you have a prayer of getting some comepnsation for the improvements you made to the car, but I don't think you do.

As far as having legitimate claims for pain and suffering and invasion of privacy, no. If anyone is going to get in trouble because your company's documents have gotten out of your custody and control, I imagine it would be you.

Maybe the lady you are in love with now could give you a ride to work.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You had use of the car for the time you made the payments -- if she is on the loan and the title is in her name, it is HER car. You would need to PURCHASE it from her. If you want to play house, get married and then a court will easily sort this out -- a lot easier than you wanting to claim property that is NOT yours.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">