• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC Divorce Procedural Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ElizabethClark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC (Moore County)

I am in the process of filing for divorce, and I used an online service to draw up all the papers. We have no children, and no property to divide. The papers came with some processing instructions, but in several places said to check with the Clerk's Office.

I went to the Moore Co, NC Clerk's Office to file them, and asked which ones were to be file initially and which came later, and was told "I am sorry, I can't answer that, its legal advice." This was the answer I got to every question I asked, all of which I thought were of a procedural nature, not interpretation of the law.

I got the complaint filed, got a civil summons, and mailed it certified mail to my husband, who lives in CA, not NC. I received the certified mail receipt this week, and I called to ask about requesting a hearing date. I asked if I had to wait until the Defendant's 30 day response period had passed, or if I could go ahead and schedule it 30 days out + any additional days required to provide adequate notice of the hearing date. Of course the answer I got was, "I can't answer that, it's legal advice."

So, that is my question, can I get on the calendar before his 30 day window to respond is up or do I need to wait?

Many Thanks,
Liz Clark

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">