• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC - verbal separation & rental agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncfriend

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My friend and his spouse have agreed to a separation and more recently he has rented out his property in NC naming her as the landlord. I'm afraid for him that this document which reads like she is the free and legal owner of the property without his name on it can be used by her to take his home from him in the divorce because it was generated after they agreed to separate.

Any advice / thoughts would be appreciated.

ncfriend

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

My friend and his spouse have agreed to a separation and more recently he has rented out his property in NC naming her as the landlord. I'm afraid for him that this document which reads like she is the free and legal owner of the property without his name on it can be used by her to take his home from him in the divorce because it was generated after they agreed to separate.

Any advice / thoughts would be appreciated.
Why did he rent out HIS property naming HER as the landlord? That seems like a rather odd thing to do.

Perhaps if you explained the rationale behind that you would get better answers.

ncfriend

Why did he rent out HIS property naming HER as the landlord? That seems like a rather odd thing to do.

Perhaps if you explained the rationale behind that you would get better answers.
I agree - unfortunately I can't see into his thought processes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">