• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKS1375

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?LOUISIANA
JUST CURIOUS TO HOW LONG DIVORCE PROCEDDINGS TAKE USUALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A CHILDREN INVOLVED? IS IT POSSIBLE TO FILE FOR DIVORCE OR LEGAL SEPERATION AND MOVE BACK TO ANOTHER STATE WHILE WAITING ON PROGRESS OF DIVORCE? WE BEEN MARRIED SINCE 2001 AND TOGETHER SINCE 1994......ONE CHILD HE HAS RAISED, SUPPORTED BUT NOT BIOLOGICAL, AND THEN WE HAVE ONE CHILD TOGETHER. PLEASE HELP ME!

HomeGuru

MKS1375 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?LOUISIANA
JUST CURIOUS TO HOW LONG DIVORCE PROCEDDINGS TAKE USUALLY WHEN YOU HAVE A CHILDREN INVOLVED? IS IT POSSIBLE TO FILE FOR DIVORCE OR LEGAL SEPERATION AND MOVE BACK TO ANOTHER STATE WHILE WAITING ON PROGRESS OF DIVORCE? WE BEEN MARRIED SINCE 2001 AND TOGETHER SINCE 1994......ONE CHILD HE HAS RAISED, SUPPORTED BUT NOT BIOLOGICAL, AND THEN WE HAVE ONE CHILD TOGETHER. PLEASE HELP ME!

**A: why are you posting in all caps?

MKS1375

Sorry**************..forgot that it was on!!

Do you know if it is legal for me to be able to live in Arkansas while still awaiting the proceddings to finalize. I have family there and it is home to me. Just not sure if it is possible or if I must stay in Louisiana until divorce finalized.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

MKS1375 said:
Sorry**************..forgot that it was on!!

Do you know if it is legal for me to be able to live in Arkansas while still awaiting the proceddings to finalize. I have family there and it is home to me. Just not sure if it is possible or if I must stay in Louisiana until divorce finalized.
Ask your lawyer for sure, but my guess is that Louisiana has no law forbidding people to move to Arkansas.

MKS1375

I have not yet contacted a lawyer on this matter, just trying to get my facts in order. I do have another question though for you**************Legal seperation? Do I file for legal seperation? I have heard that if I file for legal seperation that anything that happens after that date can not be held against me in the final divorce**************......as far as me moving my two children to Arkansas even before we are legally divorced......is this true??

LdiJ

MKS1375 said:
I have not yet contacted a lawyer on this matter, just trying to get my facts in order. I do have another question though for you**************Legal seperation? Do I file for legal seperation? I have heard that if I file for legal seperation that anything that happens after that date can not be held against me in the final divorce**************......as far as me moving my two children to Arkansas even before we are legally divorced......is this true??
Moving the child that you have together may be another story. You would need to have either the other parent's permission or the permission of the courts to move the child.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">