• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

busdriver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

Besides the obvious, how can I prevent the divorce from being successful in a short period of time?
Regretably I have an assault against my wife, so would I still be able to request marriage counseling or am I considered completely at fault?

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas

Besides the obvious, how can I prevent the divorce from being successful in a short period of time?
Regretably I have an assault against my wife, so would I still be able to request marriage counseling or am I considered completely at fault?
Well, there is such a thing as aggravated assault, but I don't think it's used much in marital settings.

You are free to request whatever you want, but if she is opposed to counseling, it won't work - even if the judge orders it. However, even if joint counseling isn't in the works, you should go.

As for the divorce being successful 'in a short period of time', that depends on what you mean by that. It's unlikely that she will get a divorce finalized in less than a few months - probably considerably longer. But if she wants a divorce, she'll eventually be able to get one, so you might want to start thinking in that direction. Even if you manage to work things out later, it won't hurt you to meet with an attorney to see what your options and rights are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">