• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice/divorce/custody/child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gatorguy3

What is the name of your state? Florida

This all started in 02 when I came home from work and found the house scattered and nobody home--wife was gone as were my son, step-son, and step-daughter.

I looked around for a note but found nothing. Although it was painfully obvious, there was no explanation.

The only place she would have gone is her parents home an hour and a half away. So, starting at about 1pm, I called her parents. Someone finally answered the phone around 6pm. They then put my wife on the phone.

We spoke for about 30 mins. All I got from the conversation was that she felt nothing other than feeling "numb" and would not explain why she left. The only reason she did give was that she would not "choose the happiness of one of her children over one of the others." Although her oldest and I didn't see eye to eye all the time, none of the children were suffering from a lack of being happy at my expense.

So, since she didn't contact the court within 30 days of leaving, she committed "Parental Kidnapping" according to Florida law.

She immediately began writing checks on a joint checking account of ours. Initially I didn't know but, when I found out (within weeks), I informed her there was no money to cover any of the checks she had been writing. Because they would not clear, I asked her to stop writing them.

Well, she didn't stop writing the checks, and the account became overdrawn by about $700 plus. The entire amount was NSF fees. Not one check cleared.

Around the same time, I was contacted by Children and Family Services asking me for my account information because my wife had filed for state assistance (Welfare). I explained to them the only thing we had was an overdrawn account that was due to the fact my wife had written many checks on the account that didn't clear. They said that information would be fine. They would not approve her for Welfare until they got that information. Once I found out they approved her on that info, I wrote a letter explaining that would be considered fraud on 2 accounts--one that she wrote the checks and two that they approved her for Welfare services based on that info. I never heard a word on that issue again.

At the time she was receiving Welfare Services, my wife lived with her parents (the children sleeping on the couch and the floor of the living room) for months, and then lived with the paternal grandparents her other two children. Their father (a convicted felon on parole in Texas) jumped parole and was cohabitating with her at that location for more than two months. He had a warrant for his arrest at the same time. She was aware. I have written proof.

In the first 15 months or so following her departure, my wife refused to allow me to see my son unless she was present. There were no court orders and at the time, I didn't have an attorney or money to do anything.

As I mentioned in another thread, because she was receiving Welfare Services, the Department of REvenue initiated a hearing exactly 6 months to the day my wife left me. They forced through an astronomical amount for Child Support based on previous employment. I understand what the law states but there is room for adjustment and consideration on their part. During the hearing my wife had an attorney from the DOR in her corner and I had nobody--just me.

There is so much more to this story but I would like to just get an idea for what others think based on this information.

I do have an attorney currently but still no money to really do anything worthwhile. I have filed for Divorce and my wife has been served the papers. Because of all that I am asking for, she has not replied to it.

I had to terminate my previous employment, where I worked for more than 10 years because garnishment was taking my entire paycheck for over a year. I could not continue working under those conditions.

My license is currently suspended and I was denied a job paying $30k plus because of that fact. It was suspended by the DOR. Is there any action I can apply towards them or the State of Florida?

In the past couple years, I was found in contempt for not attending a hearing to adjust my child support. That particular hearing was supposed to have been cancelled and rescheduled as that was the information I had been given by my attorney. Turns out it was not cancelled or rescheduled so I was held in contempt and fined. Because I was not informed of the contempt or the fines, I was eventually arrested on a Writ with Bodily Attachment and spent several days in jail. I didn't know the reason for the arrest until after I was out.

Anyway, any advice will be appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">