• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

need advice on name change

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shell0546

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

Hello I live in Oregon and was just served with papers of a divorce in the divorce papers it states I need to resume the last name I had which was also from a previous marriage! Am I allowed to keep the name I have now or changed back to my maiden name? or am I legally required to take back my previous last name from another marriage?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Hello I live in Oregon and was just served with papers of a divorce in the divorce papers it states I need to resume the last name I had which was also from a previous marriage! Am I allowed to keep the name I have now or changed back to my maiden name? or am I legally required to take back my previous last name from another marriage?
What name do you want to take or do you want to keep your current name? Were the papers a COMPLAINT or a divorce decree ordering you to change your last name?

Banned_Princess

Has a judge issued the decree, or are you only starting the divorce.

Yes, a judge could order you to take your original name back, or change it to something else.

shell0546

I would like to change back to my maiden name, If I am unable to keep the name I have now. I have had this name for almost 6 years and do not want to change it unless I have to.. I have been separated from my husband for almost 6 months now He moved out, I was served with divorce papers this morning...
It is listed in these papers under number 12. FORMER NAME... 12.1 Respondent's former name of XXXXXXXXX should be restored.

This former name is from a previous marriage and I do not want to take it back.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like to change back to my maiden name, If I am unable to keep the name I have now. I have had this name for almost 6 years and do not want to change it unless I have to.. I have been separated from my husband for almost 6 months now He moved out, I was served with divorce papers this morning...
It is listed in these papers under number 12. FORMER NAME... 12.1 Respondent's former name of XXXXXXXXX should be restored.

That is something that your attorney can work out with his attorney. It's "boilerplate"

mistoffolees

OK. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you were served with the papers from your husband FILING for divorce. That doesn't mean that it's final and he can request anything he wishes in his filing. There will be a process (sometimes quick, sometimes lengthy) where the court determines division of property, who gets the home, custody of the children (if applicable), etc. Usually, this involves either a hearing or the two of you must agree on all the issues. Until then, nothing is finalized.

Normally, the court will not order someone to change their name, so I'm guessing that your ex has requested it (it's a common request even though it commonly fails), but that it's not a court order yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">