• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice re Separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scottishbloke

Hi,

I need some advice as I'm getting increasingly worried and nervous about my situation. I'm a 41 yr old male who had been working ft and going to school in the evenings. A while ago my wife and I decided it would be a good idea for me to go to school full time this summer in MA to qualify for a part time BA degree...

Shortly before I left my wife informed me she had been having an affair and wanted us to separate as she wasn't happy in the marriage. I considered cancelling my college plans as quitting my job at this point made me uneasy. She assured me I should go and the time apart would be good for us both and allow us some breathing space to figure things out.

Shortly before I returned she rented an apartment and moved out. I'm now unemployed w/no income and trying to stay alive. She has filed a claim with the VA Child Support Agency who inform me they are asessing a payment amount baed on last years W2.

I feel like I'm going crazy...she has income of almost $80k a year and persists in not only refusing to help w/anything but is also doing everything she can to put even more pressure on me. She insists I should just get any job at all even waiting/bar work etc depite the fact that the income from that wouldn't begin to cover my half of the mortgage/utilities etc plua whatever the child suport payment will be. I'm trying hard to find work and of course I wantt o help provide fpr my kids but at this point I feel very decieved and manipulated. If anyone can advise how I should best act to protect myself and make any predictions on her next move i'd be extremely grateful. I suspect I need a lawyer but that's out of the question right now.

Thank yout is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

mistoffolees

Hi,

I need some advice as I'm getting increasingly worried and nervous about my situation. I'm a 41 yr old male who had been working ft and going to school in the evenings. A while ago my wife and I decided it would be a good idea for me to go to school full time this summer in MA to qualify for a part time BA degree...

Shortly before I left my wife informed me she had been having an affair and wanted us to separate as she wasn't happy in the marriage. I considered cancelling my college plans as quitting my job at this point made me uneasy. She assured me I should go and the time apart would be good for us both and allow us some breathing space to figure things out.

Shortly before I returned she rented an apartment and moved out. I'm now unemployed w/no income and trying to stay alive. She has filed a claim with the VA Child Support Agency who inform me they are asessing a payment amount baed on last years W2.

I feel like I'm going crazy...she has income of almost $80k a year and persists in not only refusing to help w/anything but is also doing everything she can to put even more pressure on me. She insists I should just get any job at all even waiting/bar work etc depite the fact that the income from that wouldn't begin to cover my half of the mortgage/utilities etc plua whatever the child suport payment will be. I'm trying hard to find work and of course I wantt o help provide fpr my kids but at this point I feel very decieved and manipulated. If anyone can advise how I should best act to protect myself and make any predictions on her next move i'd be extremely grateful. I suspect I need a lawyer but that's out of the question right now.

Thank yout is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA
It amazes me how many people realize they need an attorney but refuse to hire one.

You really need to see an attorney unless you want the rest of your life ruined. Find an attorney who will petition the court to be paid out of marital funds or give you a repayment plan.

She can certainly request that child support be entered on the basis of last year's W2, but you will respond that you quit your job at her urging and that information is no longer relevant. In fact, since you now have more time, you could argue for primary custody with her paying you child support. Depending on how long you've been married, you may be able to get alimony, as well - at least until you're back at work.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">