• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need advice in starting a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mercyreaper

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada

I am overseas military and I am looking into getting a divorce, my spouse is in the states and we were married in Nevada although she currently resides in Texas with her family. From speaking with fellow co-workers I can obtain a divorce without having to visit the states and we are trying to work out a dissolution although we have been married for 12 years with no children. I am not sure what my options are and until I can seek some legal advice directly I thought I would try a few sites to find out some more info. If you have any good advice or where I can look at let me know. Thanks for your assitance and time.

mmmagique

This isn't legal advice, but, I'm gonna give it anyway.

Getting divorced while deployed (especially after 12 years of marriage) is similar to getting divorced after the death of a family member, or during a mid-life crisis. It feels like what should be done, but, you might regret it later.

Good luck to you,

~Christina

mercyreaper

Thanks for the advice, although it is not as drastic as you may think, I am stationed overseas and have been for almost 4 years now. I sent my wife back to the states so we could seperate and start the divorce proceedings and I wanted to know about proceeding based on my situation basically or just some good resources I can hunt down and get the answers I need, thank you.

mercyreaper

I think she could if she wanted to, but we do not have harsh feelings toward each other. I have mentioned starting the process of a divorce to her. I think she is ok with the idea, she is not all for it right at the moment, but she would comply with any requests I make or at least I hope ;).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">